Air rifles - airguns

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Air rifles - airguns

Post by massmanute »

Is anybody here shooting air rifles? I bought myself a Remington Airmaster 77 (same as a Crossman 2100) a few months ago, and today I took delivery on a Mauser SR .177. Don't let the Mauser name fool you. It's just an inexpensive and fairly ugly airgun.

I found a cantilever mount and put a scout scope (NcStar SEPB2530B) on the Remington. It is quite fun to shoot and fairly accurate, or at least more accurate than I can shoot.

I haven't opened the Mauser package yet. I might scope that one too, but it is a spring piston gun. Spring piston airguns have a very vicious double recoil cycle. This means that the SEPB2530B, which is not airgun-rated, can't be used on the Mauser without destroying the scope.

I originally thought I would try attracting Eurasian collared doves to my backyard and then use the airgun to harvest some of the doves, but that part of the plan hasn't worked out so well yet.

I think that hunting with airguns is quite popular in some places, like England. Some air rifle are quite powerful. I have even seen youtube clips of people killing wild hogs with air rifles.

Who else is using air rifles?
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Air rifles - airguns

Post by Quinc »

I have a Benjamin Nitro Piston .22cal Air rifle I bought at walmart for 150$. Great little gun. Has some kick to it, and pretty accurate. I think I chrono'd it around 700fps.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_ ... 9BB5.app03
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

Here's a link to the spring piston gun I bought.

http://www.airgundepot.com/refurbished- ... rifle.html
airgundepot_2235_35173680.jpg
Did I mention that this gun is ugly?

However, there may be some method in their madness in making it so ugly. I have been learning about the artillery hold, so I took the airgun from its box and started practicing holding it. The shape is surprisingly ergonomic for this hold, so maybe ugly has a beauty all its own.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dagger dog

Post by dagger dog »

Beeman R9 .177 cal adjustable trigger, Bushnell Sportsman 3X9, for the ultimate in knock down power and accuracy I use the Kodiak Extra Match extra heavy pellets (10 grains), for targets at 11 meters the Beeman Match wadcutters are MOOH "minute of one hole ", but only if I shoot them off the rest.

I can hit a soda can at 75 yrds with the Kodiak Match pellets, no wind and off the sand bags.That Sportsman scope is one good one for the money, I have actually worn the white tick marks off the elevation knob, and it still holds zero.

The 10 grain pellets leave the muzzle @ 750-800 fps (chrony) which means you have to have a scope or mounts to get the elevation for long shots, pellet selection is the main factor in air gun accuracy.

A 500 count tin of good pellets run about 12 bucks, you can shoot all day !
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

I have an RWS 34. It's so loud, I'd rather shoot my suppressed 77/22. I know there are tune-ups I can have done to quiet/smooth it, but I'd just as soon buy another suppressor! :D

When I was a kid, I had a S&W 77A, which is a pneumatic .22 pellet rifle. I loved that thing. It was "adult sized" and I wasn't, so it was like dragging a cannon around for me, but I dragged it all over five farms and three counties. Along the way, screws disappeared, stock finish disappeared, gouges, dings, and more serious damage appeared. Even the front sight was badly worn from being propped in truck cabs and on tractors. Sadly, it had to be retired.
Then about five years ago, I spotted a good one on Gunbroker. It was just about this time of year, too. I got it for a decent price. I might have been as thrilled over that pellet gun as any gun I ever got. Nice Christmas present.

I used to drool over S&W's CO2 pellet pistols too, the 78G and 79G shaped like the M41 .22 pistol. Getting that S&W 77A sparked me to halfway keep an eye out for one of those.

Other than that, the kids and I shoot AirSoft in the garage sometimes. We had a big ol' time shooting the last of the tomatoes off the vines after the first freeze.
larryp

Post by larryp »

I still have and use the Sheridan Silver Streak 5mm air rifle my grandfather gave me for Christmas when I was 7 years old. 42 years later it still functions fine.
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Nice!. When I was a kid, I didn't like the Sheridans (the local hardware didn't carry 5mm pellets) but now I wish I had one.

I was in an antique store recently and saw a Sheridan Blue Streak that was in the 1970s box. Everything looked like brand new, like it was under the Christmas tree in 1975. Pretty neat, but he wanted something crazy like $600 for it. Same booth had a Crosman MK I (the pistol that looked sorta like a Ruger MK I) for $400 and one of the later big pneumatic Crosman pistols for over $200 as I recall.
janoosh

Post by janoosh »

I recently picked up a Saxby / Palmer 22 air rifle for hunting here in NY. Very strange as you build the self contained cartridge and then load it as a regular gun.it came with many cartridges and the air pump. Receiver is dovetailed for a scope. I have yet to sight it in.
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

Following up on my recently acquired Mauser air rifle, I am having a hard time shooting it accurately. It is not nearly as accurate as my multipump Crosman (Remington branded). It could be that I have not mastered the soft technique to hold the gun, which is required for accurate shooting with a spring piston gun, but I think not. I think it is just not a very accurate airgun compared to my Remington Branded Crosman.
Quinc
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Quinc »

Ok which one of you have the Dragon Claw .50 cal pellet gun?
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Dragon_Cl ... Rifle/2500
"Everyone has a plan tell they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson