more side sling applications

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
outsidebear

more side sling applications

Post by outsidebear »

What can I say? I prefer a sling mounted on the side of a rifle for most applications in the field.
Those who have used/carried an M1 Carbine will understand. Otherwise you need to use this type of setup in order to fully understand n' appreciate how comfortable, convenient and practical this method is.
I will not alter an original collectible rifle, there's too many other irons out there that have been messed with!

In descending order:
Peabody .45-70 carbine, a rebuild from an action and butt stock that I came up with - rebarreled n' added a new forearm.

A 'rescued' Post 64 Windychester that left the factory as a .30-30, someone re-bored it to .38-55 and refinished the metal - couldn't hurt it's collect-ability!

CZ Scout .22 with Hensoldt-Wetzler 2 1/2x scope and German #1 reticle - not a collectible, for now anyway!

AAC .300 Blackout Handi Rifle - I configured custom open sight setup, a dandy lil' woods loafing carbine, able to be a .32 S&W Long, a .32-20, a .30 Carbine and a light weight bullet .30-30 in performance, via reloading levels. Quick detachable scope setup is on hand as well. When carrying it in the field, hardly know it's there. A dandy lil' iron in the canoe, even fits in my kayak hull!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: more side sling applications

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Looks good to me. Did the same with a FAL years back. Carries so much more comfortable.
Have to say I saw the Peabody before I read the text and my jaw was hanging low. But then it is yours. I read people making big noises about old modifications. I guess something done 100 years ago makes it a work of art. But you are the one with it strapped to your back.
I like those Peabody actions. They work well and do the job. Have one also in 45-70. A militia rifle from the New England states.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
outsidebear

Re: more side sling applications

Post by outsidebear »

missionary: I obtained a Peabody action and butt stock, both shown in the picture. I then had a gunsmith turn a Badger barrel to the same configuration as a .50 rimfire Peabody carbine. Also utilized a Peabody long forearm (for infantry 33" long barrel) that had been cut at one time, to do a close match to an original Peabody carbine forearm. Having a barrel band that had a sling swivel ground off by someone other than me, had the gunsmith weld on a 'staple' on the left side of the old barrel band, forming a staple/loop for the sling to attach to. I used a Mauser military butt sling swivel installed into the left side of the butt stock. Could have used the modern Model 70 Super Grade sling swivel base, but preferred to be closer to period correct.

I make a separate Post about another Peabody action/stock setup that years ago came out of the swamps of Florida: my 'Gator Gun'...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.