First AR

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
f100cleveland

First AR

Post by f100cleveland »

Finally picked up an AR15. Didn't think I would ever own one but a couple buddy's have them and I started reloading for them so figured might as well. Local guy that started me out reloading also sells guns and bought a few Ruger AR556's and was selling them at near his cost. Basic starter AR with flip up peep sight. Reminds me of the M-16 I shot in service. They were good out to 400m but I dought if my eyes are as good now as then. I'm sure a scope is next.
GasGuzzler

Re: First AR

Post by GasGuzzler »

They're addicting like anything else.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Enjoy your new rifle. 8-)
Can't warm up to the looks of an AR, but my husband showed me a Tavor Bullpup that might be a possibility.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

zippy it took me a while to warm up to the ARs.
I bought one back in the last century because CA said I shouldn't be able to. (Actually I picked up one complete and a future option.)

With the rules changes in CA since then I've managed to build 3 of the slightly hamstrung CA bullet button versions since joining this board. I'm in the process of getting around to building a .308 AR as well and I've still got a receiver or two for the AR-15s that haven't been built yet.
(I've posted threads on this board about the White Oak build, the other two basic builds and the .308 parts collection.)
They grow on you over time you may find yourself getting the bug.

The Tavor is cute. I think you can get some conversion kits for it to change calibers.
Unless you are going to do that however I suspect the AR is more bang for the buck in 5.56.

My bud who got his manufacturing FFL is putting out 3 models. 'Basic' through the shop at about $900, 'Carbine' at $1250 (railed w/ extras) and 'Battle Carbine' at $1550 that are all quality builds.
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

I thought about building one. Have a friend thats a machinist so a 80% lower wouldn't be a problem but now that its warming up a little there won't be much spare time during our short summer. Maybe next winter if I grow fond of this thing.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Archer wrote:They grow on you over time you may find yourself getting the bug.

The Tavor is cute. I think you can get some conversion kits for it to change calibers.
Unless you are going to do that however I suspect the AR is more bang for the buck in 5.56.
There is a very nice young Army veteran at my gun club, who always wants my husband and I to shoot his AR, and it is a good shooter, but the "tactical" looks just leave me cold as far as owning one. My taste is more to all-metal wheel guns and of course my Rossi lever gun, but the Tavor scratches that 5.56 itch while looking nicer and being more compact. It also points very fast and rests more weight on the shoulder.

It's pricier than the average AR, and I might never get one, but it's the only 5.56 I would make room in my safe for, plus it's compact profile also let's me mentally "justify" it as a good home defense choice.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I didn't even want one until the idiot politicians started trying to take them away.
I didn't like the pistol grip. I didn't like the plastic. I didn't like the twang of the buffer spring in the tube of the stock singing through my cheek weld.

I preferred wood and steel of the Garand or M1A. 3 times the bullet weight at almost the same velocity.
Even the M1 Carbine was still wood and if it didn't shoot as fast or far it at least pushed a bullet that was twice the weight.
The Mini 14s were affordable and more conventional.

But watching what the market has been doing and the options that have been coming out and hanging around the shop where customers are being helped to install parts they've purchased there I've come to the conclusion that the AR is the adult LEGO set.
The guns are more reliable. The parts quality, functionality and variety have improved especially on the civilian market. You can buy or assemble a gun the way you want it and if you don't like it you can change parts to tailor the feel, appearance or even modify the gun for a completely different purpose. You could have 1 assembled lower and multiple uppers in different configurations or even different calibers.

I wouldn't exactly call my White Oak a 'tactical' build but it was a fun build for me.
The other two recent builds are just basic plinkers but the MagPul furniture has a better fit and feel than the G.I. style stuff that was all the rage 20 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

"Adult Lego" I like that, I always thought of the Contenders as adult Tinker Toys :D

Make smoke, as many ways as possible,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love ar15 rifles they are the Lincoln log guns. You can build them in so many different ways.
My old bushy M4 and my DDM4V5. the Bushmaster has the 1by9 barrel for lighter bullets and the Daniel has the 1by 7 that likes heavy bullets.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Archer wrote:I preferred wood and steel of the Garand .....
That's the one gun I'd get if I were to buy something totally impractical for my purposes. As historically significant as Browning's designs. Shooting one is definitely on my bucket list.

+guns