NOw exactly who was it that mentioned the Hi-Point carbines?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

NOw exactly who was it that mentioned the Hi-Point carbines?

Post by Steelbanger »

Good evening folks,

I read his posts a few times and gave some thought to my armament. As suspected it was about 99.95% bolt action and lever guns, along with a few revolvers.

That percentage dropped a point or two since I just took delivery of a Hi-Point carbine in 45 ACP. Their packaging sure is different as everything is in small plastic bags or boxes of small parts. I managed to wade through them and prepared to visit the range and get it on paper. My first five shots at 50 M weren't on the target nor the target holder so I then held at various parts of the backer trying to catch one single bullet somewhere on the paper. Nothing. Good thing that its winter time and no one was at the range except me I thought, as I moved the target to 25 yds. A center hold brought nothing so I again tried to move my aiming point. The first shot, which was held on the top cardboard panel, struck about 3" above the bottom edge of my 3.5 ft cardboard. I call that success. Now I held top of paper and the second and subsequent shots grouped around the first. Seven shots in approx 2.5".

Incidentally, the warranty is void if you shoot reloaded ammo OR lead bullets.

Here are most of the items that came with my carbine. Laser sight and mount, flashlight and mount, forward folding hand grip,sling and swivels. All that for less than $300.00 My overall impression is that I really like this rifle, with one exception. I spent more time looking for ejected cases than they are worth but that is an old habit that refuses to be reprogrammed. It is a pretty little gun, and not one bobble after firing about 75 rounds. Serious accuracy testing will be at some later date after I have mounted a scope.
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: NOw exactly who was it that mentioned the Hi-Point carbi

Post by mr surveyor »

I believe the HiPoint discussion was in the "All Other Firearms" subforum.

Sounds odd that your carbine is so much off target right out of the box?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think that DaveInGeorgia on my Lee Forum bought one.
Michael
ksmoose

Post by ksmoose »

I have 1 in 9mm. Bought it to throw under the back seat in my pickup. It shot decent with the factory peep but I wanted to try something different. Mounted a cheap scout scope I had on it. Haven't finished sighting in yet but seems to be close, about 2 " high at 35 yds. I have put about 150 rds through it with no problems. Good for what I want.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

yep ... here's the thread I was remembering

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4303

and, as RD said, the thread on the Lee Loader forum was pretty lengthy and informational as well

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

As a Ruger guy I'm surprised that you haven't bought the Mini for a black rifle. I love my Mini 30 and it hits what you shoot at!

Michael
Steelbanger
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Now exactly who was it that mentioned the Hi-Point carbi

Post by Steelbanger »

Good morning,

Any semi auto used in PA is for fun only since we aren't permitted the use of semi rifles or handguns to hunt. The Hi-Point seemed like a good choice to me since it isn't too expensive. Since range time is the only time it will be used for, plus the use of handloads using cast bullets should be a bit cheaper than the 223 used in the Mini. Sounds like I may have some Scot blood in me, doesn't it?
Steelbanger, NRA Life
Annual Member PRPA
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Now exactly who was it that mentioned the Hi-Point carbi

Post by Ranch Dog »

Steelbanger wrote:Good morning,

Any semi auto used in PA is for fun only since we aren't permitted the use of semi rifles or handguns to hunt. The Hi-Point seemed like a good choice to me since it isn't too expensive. Since range time is the only time it will be used for, plus the use of handloads using cast bullets should be a bit cheaper than the 223 used in the Mini. Sounds like I may have some Scot blood in me, doesn't it?
Got'tit! Definitely would be cheap to cast for.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I used to really enjoy the little Ruger Mini 14/30 pattern guns but now that they cost as much as an AR for the basic gun I haven't managed to acquire one. Kinda weird as it took me a lot to warm up to the ARs.

The Hi-Point comments were on the RR forum somewhere.

Added by edit, looks like it took a while to post this one.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

A mini costs more than building an AR...here at least.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.