Another Remington 600

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
DennisH

Another Remington 600

Post by DennisH »

I really never heard of one till I came across it ant the local gun store. I liked it immediately when I picked it up. Light and short and seemed just the right fit. And in .308. I put on a redfield scope base for a forward mount scope. I'm not sure but I may go back to a regular scope mount. While deer hunting with a 2x power Lepould IER I had trouble getting a shot at a nice buck that was hiding out in some heavily treed swamp area. It was the small field of view and low power scope made it hard to find him. I didn't take a shot but the next day I took out a Lee Enfield with a regular scope and while sitting along an old logging trail watching 2 little deer and their mother walking around out walked a big 7 point buck. I got him at around 200 yards. I don't know how that scout scope set up would have worked out but at 4x power it was a fairly easy shot. So that is my plan even though I like the long eye relief set up. In the picture I put on a 2x7 scope to try out. I did put the Lepould scope on my Rossi 92 and it looks perfect on it.
Also a .303 174gr round nose dropped the deer in its tracks. Very impressive. So I want to refinish the stock on the Remington and get a new rib because I lost the tip off it while hunting. It had a crack in it when I got it. And try going back to a regular scope set up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Another Remington 600

Post by Ranch Dog »

Another great looking 600! I'm prepping my 35 Rem for a hunt a bit deeper in South Texas that I'm going on in three weeks. When I was trying out the various scout scopes, I thought the 2 to 2 1/2 power where a bit light for my hunting here in South Texas. I've never used anything higher than 4 1/2 so the Weaver's 4 power felt real good.

As for the vent rib, the best choice is the Heritage Arms rib. I checked their site but they are out of stock but MidwayUSA has them in stock. I bought mine through MidwayUSA as it was $15 cheaper than buying it direct. Heritage did have a steel floor plate that I bought as that is that is another nylon part that fails on these rifles with their age. Neither source has them now. I suspect with so few rifles and given the age of the rifles series, Heritage has dropped their support.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Since you are speaking of mounting a scope here, don't know if you saw this or considered it, but for 5 bucks I thought I would give it a try, still waiting to have my 660 returned from Remington to test it out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/498742 ... p100-gloss
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:Since you are speaking of mounting a scope here, don't know if you saw this or considered it, but for 5 bucks I thought I would give it a try, still waiting to have my 660 returned from Remington to test it out.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/498742 ... p100-gloss
I just ordered it. I will give it a try. I had a one piece base but it made it hard to load, so I tried the scout set up. I'll play around with it this winter and see which works best for me.
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

Maybe I can get the wife to order me the rib for Christmas. My trigger guard is in good shape, I got a new magazine for it and it has to fit just right or it pushes on the trigger guard. It loads and feeds perfect now. Numrich has the magazine insert..It fits into the reciever then it won't push on the guard.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Numrich still has pretty good support for the rifle. My magazine spring was corroded so I bought one from them along with rib screws. Early this year they still had some nylon vent ribs but they are gone now.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I sighted my rifle in with the Speer .358" 180-grain SPFN #2435 yesterday using H4895. It is a tack driving 200 yard combo! Will start a new topic a bit later.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice I look forward to it.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!