Military surplus 1911's

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Military surplus 1911's

Post by Archer »

f100cleveland wrote:I remember the ones we shot in AIT down at Fort Polk back in 71. If you shook it it rattled like a bunch of rock in a can. When we shot them you were lucky to hit the target and I shot expert with all light weapons. I take one if it was cheap but just to keep it from being destroyed.
My first government property 1911 was serial numbered at just under a half million.
It was a 1911 NOT a 1911A1
That puts it right about the end of WWI. refinished by the gooberment in the green Parkerizing.
I had to replace the disconnector as it wore out while I was an undergrad. I put a pair of Pachmyer grips and mainspring housing on it. Replaced the grip screws with hex head ones (one of the ones that came with the gun was actually unthreaded.) I added a Wilson full length guide rod to shift the balance forward.
It rattle a bit BUT milk jugs at 100 yards with a 85 to 90 year old .45 ACP was a favorite game during college.
I usually beat my buddy with his brand new Springfield or his Colt Commander. He told me to let him know if I was ever going to sell it as he wanted first shot at it.
My MKII Govt usually beat his Buckmark also but we were usually shooting those at racquetballs and tennis balls at 30-50 yards.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Someone close to me had an un-refurb made in 1914 with Navy holster he blew out when he needed money. I saw it go. Sad.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

GasGuzzler wrote:Someone close to me had an un-refurb made in 1914 with Navy holster he blew out when he needed money. I saw it go. Sad.
That is sad. So sad.

I know a guy just sold a Russian SKS and 1000 7.62x39 Wolf ammo for $200.
I was fit to be tied.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:Someone close to me had an un-refurb made in 1914 with Navy holster he blew out when he needed money. I saw it go. Sad.
That is sad. So sad.

I know a guy just sold a Russian SKS and 1000 7.62x39 Wolf ammo for $200.
I was fit to be tied.
Happens all the time.
I can't count the number of guns I've seen go for next to nothing at one point or another that I'd have paid more money for and mostly from friends.

I have picked up a few nice ones from time to time at darned near decent prices probably 80% of the time from strangers.