Parts Is Parts LR308 First Step

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Parts Is Parts LR308 First Step

Post by Archer »

Rainier .308 Select 20" Stainless black
https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arm ... rrel-black

Was gifted with a Rainer XTC Compensator but I'm still thinking a little about the Griffin.

Probably order the handguard today.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Handguard was apparently already on order at the shop I hang out at.
Need to make sure the next order includes an extra long ejector door pin.
Midwest Industries 15" DPMS .308 High rail (.210" tang) keymod pattern. Wish they made the G3 Keymod pattern for the .308.

BCM low profile gas block.
Need a stock and buffer/spring system.
Plan on putting in an enhanced trigger system. Battle Arms Development ambi selector.
Was going to go with a Griffin Flash Comp but was gifted with a Rainier XTC that I may try first.
Need a few more standard/minor parts beyond the above but it's coming along slow but sure.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Gas tube is on order, and I broke down and ordered the Griffin flash comp when I found it at a good price. I also ordered a crush washer so I could use the XTC Rainier if I decided to go there.

Plus some other parts.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice, and I never did like the crush washers 1 time use . I try to use them 2 times no more shame shame I know lol. I like swapping comps n hiders. I even have spare crush washers in my range bag in case my need changes. Or if I'm in low light flash is devasting to my light sensitive eyes.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

If the front thingie stays on I don't care how many times the washer has been used.

I'm cheap.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The Griffin Flash Comp comes with a shim washer set. You select the stack under the comp to clock it to a certain point hand tight and it should be properly torqued when it is wrenched to line up.
The Rainer comp I was given didn't come with a crush washer. Since I'm on a new build there was no existing one to even attempt to reuse. I am not exactly certain how much money I'm going to be out on this build in the end. Some of that relates to choices on iron sights and scope/mounts that hasn't really happened yet but I suspect that base price on this weapon is going to be around $1650 (rough retail parts price) BEFORE sights or optics and not including any specialty tools or additional parts upgrades. I regularly see weapons in this class bringing $2200 to $2700 with about the same build. Being thrifty on a $4-$5 part seems to be going a bit overboard. (Also recall that this is a .308 and NOT a 5.56 reusing a crush washer might be an option but you first have to have one.)
Last edited by Archer on 16 Mar 2016 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've got all the parts I need to assemble the gun EXCEPT for a long ejector door hinge pin. It didn't show up with the order that contained the handguard in spite of being on the invoice.

I ended up with a MagPul UBR stock in black.
5.5 ounce short .308 buffer and matching spring from Heavybuffers.com for the 7" AR-15 buffer tube that the UBR uses. (Recommended solution from MagPul.)

I haven't yet purchased an upgraded fire control system, selector switch or pistol grip. I'd like to do that but it can be done at any time and it's about $300 in additional parts.

I am leaning toward putting a Leupold Patrol 3-9 scope on the gun with a AeroPrecision mount and offset MagPul or Troy sights. The Aero mount is light and I got it on sale but it is not QD. I'd prefer an American Defense QD mount but that's an increased cost. IF I go with the Aero mount then Offset irons makes a lot more sense.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

As an additional comment, One of my buds is building an near identical .308 AR using the same receiver set, stock, buffer & spring, barrel, gas block/tube, bolt and lower parts kit. He's using a different muzzle device, handguard and pistol grip. He'll probably be mounting a Redding 4-12x 1" scope using a AeroPrecision mount and going with either of the MagPul Pro or Troy offset sights.

We put his lower together and it went pretty slick.
His handguard uses a aluminum barrel nut that's almost too large in diameter.
He tried to install it last weekend but needed a tighter fit in the vise or stouter padding.
I already had a fixture on order and it arrived Monday so I suspect this weekend we will probably be building both of the guns IF my hinge pin shows up.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

While building these things gets addictive, the .308 class guns are quite a bit more expensive than the 5.56 class guns. I think PSA may be about the only place that makes a near inexpensive build kit and their reliability on it seems to be questionable.

I could easily have done this build quite a bit less expensively going with a base stock, handguard, muzzle device but at the same time I got a deal on the barrel, bolt and the receiver set w/lower parts kit and what I'm going to end up with is much more matched to me and more easily modified than if I'd gone basic.

I may do another but I don't see myself racking them up like the AR-15s. Those things are about as bad as 92s and for a base gun almost as inexpensive.

I did manage to pick up a dual AR-15/.308-AR upper fixture that can be used for installing the barrel nuts and lower receiver blocks for both guns as well as a set of dual use poly vise blocks that could be used for either upper as well. Already had the MagPul armorer's wrench, picked up an alternate version and the pivot pin tool. About the only thing I don't have for casual builds is the low profile gas block jig, a set of roll pin holders and a good bench block to back up the A frame sight or receiver ears plus I need to pick up a set of headspace gauges. I've been borrowing most of those.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

On order:
Leupold VR-X Patrol 3-9x40 w/ sunshade 4"x40 and alumina scope covers
Warne Maxima QD 30mm medium steel rings.

Also picked up the Leupold MK4 antiradiation device. Bad thing about this is the scope cover probably doesn't mount in it.
Ordered the identical set of equipment, minus the antiradiation device, for the White Oak AR-15.
Picked up a extra 2.5" sunshade from one of the shop guys for $20.

Hope the rings are high enough to line up right with a cheek weld. If not I'll need to go with High or Extra High. Ultra High are listed as 'Perfect for AR scopes' but they are also extra heavy. I might drop back to A.R.M.S. High rings in that event since they are used by the military and they are solid and lighter than Warne rings but the finish both inside and out is not as nice and they look like they need to be lapped not to mention are more expensive. I considered the aluminum one piece AR mounts but they aren't usually rated for heavier than 5.56 cartridges. The one I know is .308 semi auto rated runs about $180 right now on sale and is about as heavy as the steel Extra High Warne rings. The Warne rings are half the price and stout as heck. I can use the medium rings on conventional rifles if they mount the scope too close to the rail on the AR pattern rifles.