Parts Is Parts LR308 First Step

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Parts Is Parts LR308 First Step

Post by Archer »

Mine is the lower one my bud's is the upper.
Both are 20" Rainer barrels on H&K blanks polygonal rifled 1:11 ss.
Magpul UBR stocks, Aero Precision receivers nickle boron bolt assy & lower pts kits.
Mine has midwest handguard Griffin compensator Warne QD rings w/ Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 illuminated Patrol w/4"sunshade & dust covers.
His has Juggernaut handguard, std birdcage, Aero Precision mount w/Redfield 4-12x.

I will eventually get around to adding back up sights and will probably upgrade the trigger and selector switch eventually.

As a side note, Midwest Industries has a real winner in the G3 series AR-15 handguards where they have moved the indexing of the barrel nut completely out of the equation. You simply torque up the nut and the handguard is indexed via a plate key that is inserted into the handguard that indexes off of the receiver. No torqueing to the minimum value and attempting to index the nut to the next gas tube hole before you exceed max torque! IF I build another .308 THAT is the system I want to go with rather than the version where you are attempting to index the barrel nut between min and max torque without going over. Without a shim kit it is nearly impossible to get there. BUT M.I. doesn't currently make such a keyed system for the .308.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

So Saturday morning my rifle looked like the photo below.
Building the lower went like it was on rails.
Building the upper was only a pain to match the ticks on the barrel nut that index the handguard and that index with the gas tube hole in the receiver with the recommended torque range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That is sexy +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ordered a SSA-E trigger and I've got a Battle Arms Development ambi selector switch in the parts box.
Once those two get installed I suspect I'll be done with this one...

... but I've already got a Mega MA-10 receiver set, Aero bolt and Mil-Spec lower parts kit on hand for putting together a second one. Barrels have been a pain. Haven't seen the one I used above for sale in the past six months. Got the lower assembled except for the stock. The rest can wait at least a while.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Ar 10 rifles are taking off in competition they are starting to take the m1a's place. I kinda have a soft spot for the m1a, but it's been around a long time so no surprise the new breed black rifles might just knock it off its dmr pedestal. I've seen some ar10s out shoot match grade m1a lately its got me thinking about an ar10. granted it was only 400 yards but still.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I own 2 M1As. Ones a loaded medium weight match SS barrel on a Faijen stock w/ Sadlak airborn steel scope mount. The other is a standard that came with a fiberglass stock that I replaced with the walnut off the loaded.

I've got a HK-91 outside of CA.

I've got a FN-FAL built on an Imbel receiver that I pick up before the end of the year.

The AR-10s grow on you. The one I built above shoots well and is quite nice.
IF it wasn't for CA's silly laws going into effect next year I'd be thinking about building a third one.
As it is I may start building various uppers for one of the lowers I've built and just swap them as required.

Heck I've been real tempted to build or buy another AR-15 upper in 50 Beowulf just because.

They're like LEGGO sets. You just feel the need to put together another set after you finish the last one.