Rem 600 Scout Shooting

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Mrlucky353

Re: Rem 600 Scout Shooting

Post by Mrlucky353 »

outsidebear wrote:There is just something 'comfortable' with how the carbine looks in the pictures...
"Comfortable' is a great way to describe a carbine like this rifle.
coyotebc

Post by coyotebc »

My most used hunting rifle is a 308, model 600 Mohawk
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I tried going back to a regular scope on my 600. I even got a 2 piece mount for it. Same problem as before. It is very hard to load. I will put back the scout base I guess and get a 4x scope. Also the rifle seems better with the scout set up. It looks better.
The wood on yours looks really good. Mine has a few little dents in it. If your finish is original , what kind of finish do you think it is. I'm thinking of a winter project to maybe lightly sand and refinish the stock on mine after looking at yours.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

DennisH wrote:I tried going back to a regular scope on my 600. I even got a 2 piece mount for it. Same problem as before. It is very hard to load. I will put back the scout base I guess and get a 4x scope. Also the rifle seems better with the scout set up. It looks better.
The rifle is so "tight" that it is hard to load with a conventional scope mount. Unload too with no conventional floor plate. With the scout mount, it is just slick all around.
DennisH wrote:The wood on yours looks really good. Mine has a few little dents in it. If your finish is original , what kind of finish do you think it is. I'm thinking of a winter project to maybe lightly sand and refinish the stock on mine after looking at yours.
I'm not real sure if mine is original or not but after acquiring my 722 (1949), I think it is. They are identical. I'm not sure what Remington was doing at the time but it should be fairly easy to figure out. Plain like a 788, just a little more prep and stain on the wood.
Michael
jeepmann1

Post by jeepmann1 »

Very Nice Remington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rumor has it the 600 and 788 were dropped from the product line not becuse they were not selling but because they were more affordable and more accurate than their 700 series! I bought a new in the box Model 600 for $85.00 chambered in 6.5 Rem Mag, short time later I bought a 222 model 600 for $79.00 both of them were very accurate firearms, then I got rich and bought a Model 700 in their new offering 22-250 for the pricely sum of $135.00. I had to bed it and do a trigger job on it to get it to shoot as well as the 600's did out of the box.
I have been rechambering the H&R Handi Rifle to 35 Remington+P rimmed for folks that like the rim .It seems to be a good round and very accurate .The cases are formed from 303 Brithis rouns and use standard 35 Rem dies with a 303 shell holder.
George
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jeepmann1 wrote:Very Nice Remington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rumor has it the 600 and 788 were dropped from the product line not becuse they were not selling but because they were more affordable and more accurate than their 700 series! I bought a new in the box Model 600 for $85.00 chambered in 6.5 Rem Mag, short time later I bought a 222 model 600 for $79.00 both of them were very accurate firearms, then I got rich and bought a Model 700 in their new offering 22-250 for the pricely sum of $135.00. I had to bed it and do a trigger job on it to get it to shoot as well as the 600's did out of the box.
I have been rechambering the H&R Handi Rifle to 35 Remington+P rimmed for folks that like the rim .It seems to be a good round and very accurate .The cases are formed from 303 Brithis rouns and use standard 35 Rem dies with a 303 shell holder.
George
The 35 Rimmed sounds interesting! At one time both the 600 and 6.5 Rem Mag was quite popular in here in South Texas. I remember being home on leave while serving in the Army, a realtor that knew my dad called me and said that he was going out to look at a ranch and he thought I would like to go along which I did. We got out there and the land manager found out I was a soldier on leave and asked if I would like to shoot a doe. With my affirmative answer, he handed me a 600 chambered in 222 Rem. I was very use to the 5.56 so the little cartridge did not bother me in the least. I dropped a doe at short range with a bullet to her neck at the base of the skull.

Same thing happened with my first nilgai stalk. I had been invited out to the El Sauz Division of the King Ranch (it is now, years later, not part of the King Ranch). The Manager was giving me a tour and we saw a
nilgai cow sleeping under a small switch mesquite. He asked me if I would like to shoot her, I said sure. He reached behind the seat of the truck and pulled out a 600 chambered in 222 Rem. The stalk, more of a crawl in the open country, didn't work out good for me. I wanted to get to about 40 yards for the shot but around 50 yards something spooked her and she took off. In the waist high grass I was probably pushing mice, rabbits, snakes, ahead of me and one or two of the little critters moving past her would have tipped her off that something was coming.

The 308 Win was very popular but I bet I saw the 6mm Rem chambered in the rifle out in the brush one to one. Never saw any 600 with a scout scope and never saw one not scoped.
Michael
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

I put mine back to scout scope yesterday. I was sighting in the scope and noticed I was missing the target all together after a few shots. I walked up close to see where they went and found all 3 in the same hole. It was only about 30 yards for just getting the sights on target , but what a shooter.
Also loading is perfect with the scout set up.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I love my 600! I keep eyeballing a 308 Win and it would be scouted as well. Problem is that I really don't need two 308 Wins and my Savage 10FCM is the "King" of my scouts!
Michael