Rem 600 ~ Redfield Jr. Scout Base with Open Sight!!!

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
vvllbs

Re: Rem 600 ~ Redfield Jr. Scout Base with Open Sight!!!

Post by vvllbs »

I like your mount, last year I bought a large inventory of misc mounts that were vintage but still in the box. I put them on eBay with a starting bid of .01 penny each. I had a few mounts fetch over $200 and some are still sitting in the kitchen cabinets at my house because they drew no interest
hardwickbv

Post by hardwickbv »

Picked up the same base today from Ebay for my Remington 600 in .308.
With Midway putting the Weaver K4 on sale for $169 I plan on getting one to mount on my rifle.
What rings did you put on yours I am looking at Redfield Jr 1" Med but Low is available.
They also have extended rear rings but I am not sure if this is needed.

Can you help me out with deciding on this setup.

Thanks
Bob
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I used the Redfield Jr. 1" Medium rings. Low is too low, the eye bell won't clear metal. Here is a link to the rings on MidwayUSA: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/171234 ... -top-screw

Great to see another 600 getting scouted up. Love that price drop on the Weaver, bought a spare on Saturday so now I need a rifle to put under it!
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Buying scope rings is a pain in the posterior.
Even with the same brand there's not always agreement with what Low, Medium, High, Extra High and Ultra High actually mean. With different brands there's no continuity. I've got a set of Leupold High rings that are shorter than Warne Mediums. 30mm doesn't usually match 1" for offset. Half the time everything is dependent on barrel contour and potentially mount type as well and nobody publishes the barrel contour numbers and only a few publish the base height impact. Then ARs are once again different due to the wild variation in handguards. Plus any BUS can add another uncharted element.

Even if you get the rings and bases sorted out WITH the external (again often unpublished) outer diameter dimension of the scope bell there's the additional complications of scope cover(s), sun shades, flash kill grids (anti-radiation devices ARDs)
hardwickbv

Post by hardwickbv »

Thanks for your help Ranch Dog

I ordered the scope and Medium rings.
They also got the Heritage Arms aluminum rib in stock so I picked one of those up also.

One interesting thing I have noted is my gun does not have the rib that sticks up between the back 2 screws that yours has it is there but doesn't stick up as high, maybe it is because they are different calibers.

Not sure I like the open sight on the mount, I may remove it after I tinker with it some.

Backstory on the gun is that is was my grandfathers and I believe he purchased it new.
I have done some research and believe it came off the line in April 1964.
My uncle gave it to me because he had kept in a closet for the last 20 years and he knew I would use it.

Bob
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

hardwickbv wrote:One interesting thing I have noted is my gun does not have the rib that sticks up between the back 2 screws that yours has it is there but doesn't stick up as high, maybe it is because they are different calibers.
Are you talking about the recoil lug?
Michael
hardwickbv

Post by hardwickbv »

That's probably what it is.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah...
Michael
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

The Remington 600 was developed as a guide rifle, designed to be lightweight and easy to carry, but also fast to shoot at short range, thus the short barrel and the vent rib. It was very much along the lines of a bolt action Model 94 in terms of easy of handling.

Remington 600s and 660s were highly sought after in the late 1970s and early 1980s for use as scout rifles. The idea was (and remains) to have a lightweight (under 7.5 pounds) bolt operated short action rifle with a sort barrel for an overall length less than 39". The recipe also called for a forward mounted,medium eye relief, 2 to 3 power optic to retain the shooter's field of vision and allow shooting with both eyes open, and to leave the action clear for faster reloading. It also needed to have a ghost ring rear aperture sight and a blade front sight. The rifle needed to be capable of 2 MOA accuracy at 200 yards and generally used a Ching Sling to help the shooter achieve that accuracy in the field.

Jeff Cooper pioneered the scout rifle concept with a Remington 600 where he removed the rib and bead front sight, and added the iron sights and optic described above along with a 3 point sling. His view was that, since he couldn't stuff a .30-06 in a short action rifle, the caliber should be either .308 or 7mm-08, although he also later advocated for the advantages of the .350 Remington Magnum in the 'Super Scout'.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The 6mm Rem, 243 Rem, 308 Win, and both the 6.5 and 350 Rem Mags were popular South Texas deer rifles when I was a kid. I never saw a 35 Rem (or I would have bought it) nor did I see one being used with open or receiver sights or a scout scope. All that I ran across had traditional scopes. The problem with that is cartridge access with the short action and no floor plate, hard to load and unload.

My grandson will get my 35 Rem, he will actually get all my guns.
Michael