Rem 600 ~ Redfield Jr. Scout Base with Open Sight!!!

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rem 600 ~ Redfield Jr. Scout Base with Open Sight!!!

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm really pumped, I got back from my nephew's wedding and found that my Redfield Jr. Scout Base was delivered. This is a 1965 new in the box base that incorporates an open sight and with the Redfield Jr rings is easy to switch from the scope to the open sights without loosing the zero of either.

The mount is really an incredible piece, finally manufactured that matches the ventilated rib on the rifle. I wonder if it could be made today without costing a fortune?

The rear sight is on the forward part of the mount. It has a insert that is fully adjustable for windage and elevation with a white diamond to match up with the Gold bead of the Rem factory front sight. The insert is inverted and/or switched from one side to another for windage adjustments. With each swap of the insert, the diamond is slightly offset to help prevent the total windage adjustment being made by the front sight.

I couldn't get the camera to focus on the front sight but you get the idea!
Michael
Maximumbob54
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rem 600 ~ Redfield Jr. Scout Base with Open Sight!!!

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Classy. Can't wait to see the final full combo setup.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice love it
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

I'd be pumped too, that is a great set up. When i was reading diferent articles regarding the 600 and 660, the distinction of one being ribbed and one not was just words to me, as i was not completely sure what that meant. Now that i see yours my suspicions were correct. This is often seen on shot guns, no? And the purpose i assume is to dissapate heat, no? If nothing else, it sure does give an area to mount a scope mount without interfering with the barrel. I have been inspired much here, but there is a reason why one of the top ten, do's and do not's is to not envy what your brother has, cause it always cost you money :) what a find on that Redfield! What is that other saying? All good things come to those who wait. Well what ever it may be, i look forward to the rest of your journey with this 600.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
coyotebc

Post by coyotebc »

My 600 had the rib removed by a previous owner
that set up looks good
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:I'd be pumped too, that is a great set up. When i was reading diferent articles regarding the 600 and 660, the distinction of one being ribbed and one not was just words to me, as i was not completely sure what that meant. Now that i see yours my suspicions were correct. This is often seen on shot guns, no? And the purpose i assume is to dissapate heat, no? If nothing else, it sure does give an area to mount a scope mount without interfering with the barrel. I have been inspired much here, but there is a reason why one of the top ten, do's and do not's is to not envy what your brother has, cause it always cost you money :) what a find on that Redfield! What is that other saying? All good things come to those who wait. Well what ever it may be, i look forward to the rest of your journey with this 600.
I'm really not sure why the rifle was designed with the vent rib. I've never found the definitive answer. The Rem rib was made of nylon but the barrel does have a sturdy row of lugs down the top of it to support the rib. The scout mount does not rely on the rib for support but rather passes through the rib and into the lugs.
Michael
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Ranch Dog wrote:
NavyDoc76-80 wrote:I'd be pumped too, that is a great set up. When i was reading diferent articles regarding the 600 and 660, the distinction of one being ribbed and one not was just words to me, as i was not completely sure what that meant. Now that i see yours my suspicions were correct. This is often seen on shot guns, no? And the purpose i assume is to dissapate heat, no? If nothing else, it sure does give an area to mount a scope mount without interfering with the barrel. I have been inspired much here, but there is a reason why one of the top ten, do's and do not's is to not envy what your brother has, cause it always cost you money :) what a find on that Redfield! What is that other saying? All good things come to those who wait. Well what ever it may be, i look forward to the rest of your journey with this 600.
I'm really not sure why the rifle was designed with the vent rib. I've never found the definitive answer. The Rem rib was made of nylon but the barrel does have a sturdy row of lugs down the top of it to support the rib. The scout mount does not rely on the rib for support but rather passes through the rib and into the lugs.
Ha! Well,im 0 for 2 on that assumption. Speaking of assumeing, talked with Remington yesterday to get the green light for pickup, seal up the box, all paperwork enclosed, then Rem calls me back and says UPS has no record of the town i live in and need to update paperwork with the town down the road, which means i need to cut open the box and replace paperwork :twisted: some days just go like that.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

What a PIA. Seems it would be more appropriate for UPS to update their records, you live where you live.
Michael
vvllbs

Post by vvllbs »

Nice! I want one in 6.5 mag
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

vvllbs wrote:Nice! I want one in 6.5 mag
At least the prices on the 6.5 RM are not as bad as the 350 RM. When I was young the 6.5 RM could be found in use on South Texas deer leases.
Michael