Revisting Rem 660, Win 308

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Revisting Rem 660, Win 308

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I cant speak too much to loading for Remingtons as we only own 2 a 788 in 22/250 that's a pain to load for and a 7mmBR "space pistol" that Linda shot in IHMSA competition that once its sweet spot was found it was a pleasure to load for. In our last year of competition I loaded for it exclusively on the Dillon 650. That year she was one or two animals away from from getting out of AAA in big bore unlimited while I stayed stuck in AA with my 6.5mmTCU Contender.

I think you'll find that 4895 is hard to beat in the mil-spec 30's it's about all I use in the 30-06 for the Garand. I haven't shot that Nosler bullet but did try some of Barnes' Varmint grenades in the black rifle they weren't too fond of its 1 in 7 twist. Actually the rifle prefers 60 grains and heavier.

I'll be interested to hear how you gun handle the light bullets. Also nice to know that Remington is standing by the old recall notice, but then again I guess the class action probably necessitates it. Hope they get you turned around quick.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
I'll be interested to hear how you gun handle the light bullets. Also nice to know that Remington is standing by the old recall notice, but then again I guess the class action probably necessitates it. Hope they get you turned around quick.

Make smoke,
Thanks Curt once again for your reply. The Nosler's were delivered today. Prettiest workmanship I've ever seen on a jacketed bullet. I have an update on the recall and as I like to point out and give credit where credit is due, I thought I would share this. I read in more detail the legalese of the suit, and for 600 and 660 owners, the suit only entitles you to a $12.50 credit to the Remington online store and a free DVD on gun safety. that's it, no repair on the trigger. So I called Remington back to get a better understanding and was fortunate to get the supervisor of the center. The recall from 1979 is still valid and he sent me the paperwork and a link for UPS pickup. Easy! Had him check the serial number for manufacture date, turns out it was made in 1968, first year of production, interesting.
So I may get this to the firing line sooner than later, will post when I do.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
coyotebc

Post by coyotebc »

My favorite hunting rifle is my 600 Mohawk in 308
My 1 brother has the 600 in 308 with the nice stock
The Mohawk was the plain Jane version
Mine is missing the rib, my brothers is not

Neither of us had any issues with our rifles but we both had our recall repairs done years ago

I am always on the lookout for one in 350 magnum
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

coyotebc wrote:My favorite hunting rifle is my 600 Mohawk in 308
My 1 brother has the 600 in 308 with the nice stock
The Mohawk was the plain Jane version
Mine is missing the rib, my brothers is not

Neither of us had any issues with our rifles but we both had our recall repairs done years ago

I am always on the lookout for one in 350 magnum
Just got mine boxed up yesterday for pickup on monday, should be interesting to see what the turnaround time is.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Well, the 660 made it to Remington today, hoilday slowed that progress, so i get to experience for the first time this kind of customer service.
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

NavyDoc76-80 wrote:Well, the 660 made it to Remington today, hoilday slowed that progress, so i get to experience for the first time this kind of customer service.
It will probably be pretty good!
Michael
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

NavyDoc I envy you for having that 660. The first center fire rifle I ever bought was a 660 in .243 Winchester. At the time, experts told me that I was foolish to buy it. They said it wouldn't be accurate and would lose way to much velocity to be effective. My thought was, "Really, 2 inches shorter than the norm is going to render my little rifle usesless?" It turns out the rifle was very accurate with the right hand loads, I shot more prairie dogs with it than any rifle I've owned since. I also shot my first deer with it. I liked it so well, I bought the 6.5 Rem Magnum version with the laminated stock. For some reason, I traded both of those rifles later for... I don't even remember. I always wished I had them back. They command a hefty price on Gun Broker these days. Good luck with your reloading and I'm sure you will enjoy shooting that little carbine.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

rman wrote:NavyDoc I envy you for having that 660. The first center fire rifle I ever bought was a 660 in .243 Winchester. At the time, experts told me that I was foolish to buy it. They said it wouldn't be accurate and would lose way to much velocity to be effective. My thought was, "Really, 2 inches shorter than the norm is going to render my little rifle usesless?" It turns out the rifle was very accurate with the right hand loads, I shot more prairie dogs with it than any rifle I've owned since. I also shot my first deer with it. I liked it so well, I bought the 6.5 Rem Magnum version with the laminated stock. For some reason, I traded both of those rifles later for... I don't even remember. I always wished I had them back. They command a hefty price on Gun Broker these days. Good luck with your reloading and I'm sure you will enjoy shooting that little carbine.
Well if i remember Rman, we are going to meet up some day on my 1000 acre ranch in Montana and do some shooting! I'll make sure i have the 660 with us. :D
Dave M
--//--
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

Now there is a plan! Let me know just as soon as you sign the papers on that ranch. :mrgreen:
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I applied for a job walking fence on that ranch, hope to bring my Hawkin, If I get the job.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.