My wifes new gun

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

My wifes new gun

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

My wife's new gun is a 380 Auto Ruger LCP, Everything they said about it is wrong.
It is a smart design. They said its design was only price based, not true.
It is hard to cock, they said no issue.
It does NOT kick bad at all, they said it bites bad.
And it is very accurate, they said "It's not accurate".
These 4 things are contrary to what they told us when she got it, and contrary to many of the reviews we read.

I have to say, forget it's a 380 for a second. This thing is so stinking comfortable and it weighs 9OZ.
That's half the weight of my light weight snub nose 38.
Quick accurate aiming had me going, ease to carry, ready to fire, safe so long as you keep it on your body.
I was all fired up ready to trade off my 38 spl carry thing, I mean all these things are great. :arrow:
But, I have done penetration tests with the 38 SPL with 2" barrel, hard to believe that 380 can do what this revolver did.
I mean if you shoot the 380, mild,,,then grab my +P 38 thing and squeeze off a round, it's LOUD, and it kicks like a mule, and it weighs it 19OZ, more than twice the 380.
Is that all just gas, or is it business?
What y'all say? +corn
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: My wifes new gun

Post by zippy »

My husband started me out with the .380 Sig P238, mainly because I could operate it's slide. Eventually I learned to operate any slide, and prefer to carry a 9mm Shield. For outdoors where four footed critters roam, I carry a .357 3 inch 686Plus, which weighs in at 37oz empty. All my SD loads are shown to penetrate denim/gel 12 to 18 inches and fully expand from the length barrel I use. The 9mm 147gr HST blossoms to half an inch diameter and creates a more devastating wound channel than any .380. I still carry the .380 when wardrobe dictates. The .357 carry is loaded for game with alternating 180gr hardcast and 180gr hollowpoint. That load is dramatic from a 3 inch barrel.
If she can operate it accurately and and chooses good SD loads, then she will have a fighting chance in an encounter. That's all any of us get in a defense situation.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have a keltec PTA3 Its ugly no frills but it works very well. Yours is a prettier more refined .380 compact.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

My buddy has the LC9 and it is quite nice.
I don't think I'd go with the .380 over it as it is well behaved and I prefer the 9mm round to the .380.
That said I didn't nab one last year and my small gun is a .45 ACP Kimber CDP II. A little harder to hide and not inexpensive plus they come with only one magazine making it even more expensive once you've bought another 4-6 magazines for it but I prefer the caliber to the 9mm.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I believe that with a little research, you'll find that Ruger "borrowed" the original design for their LCP from George Kelgren's (Kel-Tec) P3AT .... almost a parts swap fit/copy. In Ruger's earliest release of the LCP, I seem to remember they didn't do a very good job copying Kel-Tec's hammer block safety mechanism and had a major recall. I never understood why George Kelgren didn't really raise a stink about that, but I also seem to remember he wasn't a big fan of patents. Also, the original SKKY pistol (now known as SCCY due to a name/copyright infringement) was a pretty close copy of Kelgren's (Kel-Tec) P11, But I think it was a couple of his former "engineers" that split off to form their own venture.

Anyway, enough useless history ... the LCP should be a fine pocket gun for when you just can't dress around a more appropriate caliber. Problem with these small, light pistols is how easy it is to "limp wrist" them and lock them up, and the lightweight .380's seem to be the culprits. Wrist strength plays a very important role in handling these things.

just my experiences, memories, or hallucinations :lol:

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

I had looked at them and ended up up with a Ruger SR9C for my CC weapon. I didnt have any experience with the 380 at the time and wasnt entirerly convinced of its stopping power, fast forward a little bit and my friend got a Hi-Point 380, all polymer style. It did well, was accurate and if i had a choice of no weapon or a 380, id take the 380 all day long.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I have an LCP. I think it's more accurate than I am. In a friendly pistol shoot competition at 25 feet I shot a 44 out o 50 with 5 shots--two 10's, two 9's and floated one to the 6 ring. I have smallish hands and don't think it bites at all. A friend has large-ish hands and feels it has a bite. The same friend is/was considering a Colt Mustang. Here's the review on "thetruthabouguns.com.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/1 ... stang-xsp/
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

My first edc was an older model Bersa .380, still have it and never a hiccup in all these years.
For those in the know it's a Mod. 383, all steel and heavy as a brick. And therein lies the problem.
Was in a lgs and there staring at me was an S&W 642 snubbie and it was love at first sight. Light
as a feather but turns out it wasn't a "fun to shoot" gun, it hurt !
Fast forward and there was a Sig 220 looking for a new home, I always wanted a .45 and it was a
Sig. The 642, some $ and the Sig left with me.
ha ha, missed that comforting weight in my pocket and picked up an LCR in .38sp and never
looked back. Just something about a snubbie !
Still occasionally take the .380 to the range and I'd stake my life on it. With the right ammo
and training / practice it will get the job done. A newer Bersa with the double stack 15 round
mag caught my eye at the range and if I could have found one locally I'd have bought it in a
minute.

Just my $0.02 ... Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

I'm all over the place on concealed carry. My favorite is a Para OPS 1911 in .45 auto. Or is it a Smith & Wesson 1911SC? (An scandium framed Commander-size gun with the heel of the grip bobbed.) Sometimes I carry a S&W 642 in .38 or a 3" Model 60 in .357. There are times when it's just handy to carry a little Sig P238 in .380.
I'm confident with any of them, but only because I practice regularly with them and use good SD ammo in the lighter calibers. I think that is a lot more important than what you carry.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm all over the place too; 25 Auto to 45 Auto. I feel any gun will do but tailor my carry according to the situation & environment I plan for the day.
Michael