My wifes new gun

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: My wifes new gun

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Moon Tree wrote:I have an LCP. I think it's more accurate than I am. In a friendly pistol shoot competition at 25 feet I shot a 44 out o 50 with 5 shots--two 10's, two 9's and floated one to the 6 ring. I have smallish hands and don't think it bites at all. A friend has large-ish hands and feels it has a bite. The same friend is/was considering a Colt Mustang. Here's the review on "thetruthabouguns.com.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/1 ... stang-xsp/
Read the article, that should make Bible feel pretty good about his choice for his wife, you need to go one link in for the LCP review. Gotta love a Ruger no matter what it is.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Since they came out I am very partial to the Taurus Titanium 5 shots. Have a S&W Titanium also and it is no better. Have several 38 Special 2 inch that weight next to nothing. My favorite is a 44 Special 2 inch. Then a couple 4 inch magnums that are hunting revolvers.
Bottom line with me.. will my CC do what I want done... need done ? A 38 special with 180-200 grainers is a formidable thumper up close. A 44 Special with a 260 grainer will take care of any need.
So my wife carries a Titanium 38 Special. I carry the 44 and we never have to wonder 'if" it will feed, fire, is it ready, is the safety on or off and will that bullet "thump" ? For near 15 years carried a Rossi 5 shot 38 Special here. Completely content I was well prepared.
Only auto loader I carry off and on is the 45 ACP. Most lately a Rock Island Compact.
When I was in Armor (M60A1's) talked to enough old tankers that had been through Korea And Viet Nam that had been hit with 9mm or knew a trooper who had. Few were "put out of the fight" and many ended the fight with a 45 ACP or a rifle.
No, I am not sold on a cartridge that is considered "humane" and "enough" for European Police. I do not CC for comfort. It is nice to be light weight but I still want something that will "take care of matters right fast" if ever needed.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Definitely like my RI Compact :D .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Jaybm
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Jaybm »

ha ha. Missionary, you sound like my youngest daughter.
When I asked why she went for the compact .45 for her edc
her reply was ... if needed I want to ensure the bg goes down.

To each his / her own. Jim
Gun Control Means Hitting The Target +guns
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm all over the place too; 25 Auto to 45 Auto. I feel any gun will do but tailor my carry according to the situation & environment I plan for the day.

I hear that, One needs to look at what the threat could be, I mean, like, Rattle Snake, Bear, :?:

Here's a fun video, I don't think I could be this relaxed.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

If I cannot find something nicer to carry than my 38, I ain't switching.
Knock down is the big topic, comfort and conceal ability are my big things.
Next I want more accuracy, I'm on the road, all the time, I pull off on dirt roads and throw a can out and shoot at it to calm my nerve's. If I can't hit the can because my gun is not accurate I get frustrated.
Knock down is important but sorry to say #4 on my list. If not, give me that Colt .45 Revolver.
I handled the 9mm models, I will shoot one this week, never shot one before, the case is 1/16" longer than 380 Auto, about 10 to 15% more energy.
I need to shoot this .380 more too, Energy also limited by the compact design.
It has another design feature I am not familiar with, the long trigger pull,and no thumb safety design, can it be carried safely with a round in the the barrel? ( I know,I am semi auto stupid) I'm a revolver guy.
I will do some testing, I have ways to see just how much it can tear up, and how accurate they are.
+corn Then I will pass judgement, But will include ALL that you all said, thank you. +guns
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Well since I posted I had a break in the day and an invite to go shoot. By my Customer. He has 2 9mm pistols.
a short one and a long one, please don't tell, I bought a box of Winchester 9mm Target Ammo at Wal-mart.
I shot all but 16 and gave them to him.
I also bought a box of Winchester 380 Auto Target ammo from Wal-Mart, same stuff, different size.
I also had my 38 with my reloads.
I also took 6 of our Over Priced Self Defence loads for 380.

Penetration and energy testing: Laminated 2x4's and 2 litter bottles filled with water, and small bottles and cans all with water.
The 380 and the short barrel 9mm were beaten by the long 9mm and the 38, the 38 best but not the same ammo. so that's not a fair test for the 38.
For accuracy the long BBL 9mm and the 380 won.
Then I whooped out the self defence loads for the 380Auto and that changed everything. It's like 380 on steroids. Best penetration and expansion. Even better than my 38 SPL. Hand loads,,and I trust them.
We did not have any self defence ammo for the 9mm's or the 38, I am sure they would perform well.
I found some of the 95 grn Winchester target bullets, no expansion.
All the 38 loads and the Overpriced self defence ammo did expand and did penetrate way better than the factory target stuff.
I did get three things from all this testing,
4" Barrel Taurus 9mm launches bullets way better than the 2" barrel 9mm.
And them over priced self defence loads, for defence, are worth the cost.
And if one is to throw out the 380 acp, better throw the 9 and 38 out with it.
And one last thing,
If I ever absolutely have to shoot a dude on drugs and stop him, none of these guns are my first choice, I want something bigger. But if all I have is a 380 Auto, a 9mm or a 38 special, I want it loaded with Over Priced Self Defence Ammo.

Now down to the side by side comparison,
I trust the 38 Braztech thing, it's big, heavy, but works, it hands me my brass, when I open it.
The Taurus 9mm, is a different set up, it has a safety and hair trigger. Also heavy and big., I'll take the 38.
The other short 9mm thing, performance, real close to the LCP.
I like the way the LCP functions, and its accurate, for a little gun. But, for me, a re-loader, collecting brass that flies out of the LCP is a pain, I found all but one 9mm, and all but 3 of the 380's and of course I had all the 38's.

All said and done, I may not get a choice. I over heard wife on phone with kids, "Dad loves my new gun."
Then she's going on about how cool it would be if we had matching pistols, and we could share ammo,,,,And the whole family can go target shooting,,,,,,without that big long muzzle loader,,,, +corn
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nothing like a group outing. I don't sell the 380 Auto short like a lot of people do. I've killed feral hogs with both my PT132 Pro using my 125-grain flat nosed bullet and my TCP using my 100-grain flat nosed bullet. Killed them deader than a hammer.
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Ranch Dog wrote:Nothing like a group outing. I don't sell the 380 Auto short like a lot of people do. I've killed feral hogs with both my PT132 Pro using my 125-grain flat nosed bullet and my TCP using my 100-grain flat nosed bullet. Killed them deader than a hammer.
Hey RD, any sugestions for loading a 100 grn fmj for a short bbl 380 auto? :?:
Thank you for the info.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Moon Tree wrote:I have an LCP. I think it's more accurate than I am. In a friendly pistol shoot competition at 25 feet I shot a 44 out o 50 with 5 shots--two 10's, two 9's and floated one to the 6 ring. I have smallish hands and don't think it bites at all. A friend has large-ish hands and feels it has a bite. The same friend is/was considering a Colt Mustang. Here's the review on "thetruthabouguns.com.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/1 ... stang-xsp/
Thanks for this post, I am new to semi auto, an old revolver guy.
So I see it has no safety, so we go shooting and I find that pulling the trigger resembles shooting a revolver double action, this tells me the thing must be intended to be carried with a round chambered.
Am I mistaken? :?: