finally got me a 'quarter bore'

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
outsidebear

finally got me a 'quarter bore'

Post by outsidebear »

Here's what followed me home this past weekend!
Just too cute of a pup to not let it stay...

Have often heard of folks using their 'quarter bore' as their favorite deer round, so thought would get one!

A Model 1842 Austrian cavalry carbine, originally 'tube lock', they were in 1851 converted to percussion:
http://www.mcpheetersantiquemilitaria.c ... em_045.htm

Have been doing online research and have located some information out there.
Found a Civil War magazine (2011) with an article on these Austrian carbines, a copy is due in next week.

My primary search is for the 'correct' bullet to use? From what I've learned so far, it will use a 50 gr load of black powder; then when the conical bullet is shoved down/seated in the barrel, the ramrod is tamped down atop the soft lead bullet a couple of times, which swags/squishes the lead bullet outwards a might, thus holding it in place atop the powder charge!

Now per chance anyone has some information on the carbine or the proper bullet to use, would greatly appreciate hearing about it. As progress advances shall keep folks posted, gonna take awhile though.

hmm, might just make for a close-in hog gun....after prairie dog season of course!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: finally got me a 'quarter bore'

Post by Ranch Dog »

Interesting. Are there molds available for the bullets?
Michael
outsidebear

Post by outsidebear »

Not sure of the 'proper' concial bullet to use? Hopefully the Civil War magazine article will provide information regarding the correct bullet to use? Will then proceed in seeing about a mold - not sure if a mold is available?

Have been researching all over the internet and have come up with some good information on the type of bullet used:
"The conical System Augustin bullets - propelled by 50 grains of musket powder - the Austrians used were tapped several times with the ramrod to expand the bullets into the rifling, thus firmly holding them in place. Nothing in the historic Federal Army ammunition inventory would have fit this carbine properly since it was carried muzzle down by the cavalryman's sling. With the bouncing of the carbine while the soldier was riding, Federal Minnie style bullets, which were less than bore diameter and not expanded by the ramrod, had a tendency to work from the breech toward the muzzle."

Looking forward to the adventure...!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Holy moly looks like a cannon.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Discovered over the years of shooting muzzle loaders that a patched round ball is far easier to load and far more than accurate at deer hunting ranges. That short barrel is not going to produce much velocity with either musket powder (F) or even 2F. I use 3F in all my muzzle loaders caliber .58 and smaller but also in some much larger. Burns cleaner and in your short barrel will give you the best velocity. The biggest plus with real BP is that it ignites very easy.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.