So anyone here shoot clays? What shotgun do you use?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

So anyone here shoot clays? What shotgun do you use?

Post by akuser47 »

I have a moss berg 500 12 gauge, a remington 870 tactical 12 gauge, and my favorite clay n bird gun is my browning gold hunter 12 gauge. I have some single shot 12 gauge n 20 gauge as well, and an old model 12 winchester pump. But they are ugly n beaten.
Now before someone spots it the front sight is only temporary as of 5 years or more tgat i left it on lol. It's what I had and it extends past barrel a bit. It works n helps my eyes pic up the sight fast for skeet.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: So anyone here shoot clays? What shotgun do you use?

Post by mr surveyor »

I shot clays for 8-10 years, until our range had to change the shooting times to accommodate the folks that decided to move out in the country .... right beside a shooting range that had been there for 50-60 years.

When I shot clays, it was either the night time, weekend club shoot under the lights, or a bunch of buddies would go out and light up the range and use the bench mounted spring powered throwers of week nights. I never owned any really high end sporting clay guns, but went through several different guns including Rem 1100, Beretta AL-2, CZ RingNeck SxS, a Zabala SxS, Larona SxS, and a couple of pumps. I've worked my way down to the two I've had the best luck with on the Dove hunts, and it's the old Beretta AL-2 12 ga, and a Mossberg 500 "Bantam" in 20 ga. I think it's been almost two years since I actually took a carton of clays to the range with my son and grandson. Saving the shells for DOVE SEASON :D . Only 26 more days to wait :mrgreen:

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

mr surveyor wrote:Only 26 more days to wait
Yep, I figured your hunt was less than a month away!
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:
mr surveyor wrote:Only 26 more days to wait
Yep, I figured your hunt was less than a month away!
yeah, we generally go the second weekend. The years we tried the first weekend, the big part of the migration hadn't quite started, then the years we tried the third weekend we were told we should have been there the first. So, compromise. Between the six of us we almost always tend to bring home a limit, and usually have to cook a few birds at "the motel" about mid trip. Last year our normal place in Rotan was pretty sterile, so while mid day Friday driving around the area immediately around our hangout in Roby we found a place that had mid day birds sitting elbow to elbow on fences and power lines around a harvested and cut wheat field. The feller that owned the adjacent property let us hunt his place on Saturday. That made up for the previous three days of shooting at the occasional high flying strays in Rotan. So, we have a new strategy for this season :)

Oh, and the last three years, with my somewhat limited shoulder mobility, I've found the little Mossy 500 "Bantam" to be my bird gun of choice. The shorter LOP certainly helps the mobility. I would have the others cut down but that would also cut their resale value down (what little they're worth). Besides, as long as my left arm can handle the pump, I'm still enjoying the action.

jd

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Mossberg 500 12ga., simple but effective.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

zippy wrote:Mossberg 500 12ga., simple but effective.
I have one as well but if you've ever shot more than 100 rounds in a session semiauto sure is better on shoulder.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

I shoot an 870 Wingmaster TB 30" barrel FC. It was passed on to me by my father ,I couldn't guess how many rounds of trap it has on it but it really smokes em
Last edited by jdl447 on 20 Mar 2016 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

For trap my favorite is my Circuit Judge, #7 shot reloads........
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Mossy 500 12ga