H&R 35 Rem & 444 Marlin Combo!

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: H&R 35 Rem & 444 Marlin Combo!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:Maybe they can do it right after the move but that has not been Remington's mode of operation
Unfortunately, you are correct. There actually is hope for my rifle in that it is going to a gunshop rather than the factory.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I received the H&R from the repair shop on Thursday, a very quick turn around. Curiosity got the best of me so decided to if it a try yesterday, Saturday, with a standard whitetail load that I've used for years. That ammo delivers my 275-grain cast bullet from the muzzle at a comfortable 2100 FPS vs. the max I shoot at 2400 FPS. I've owned three different Marlins chambered in the cartridge and all of them loved the load.

After 14 rounds at 25 and 50 yards, I gave up. At 50 yards, the H&R is not putting a consecutive shot within 3" of the previous. I took the scope off of it and will box it up for resale.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Any notion as to why?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Any notion as to why?

Make smoke,
For starters
  • the 5½ trigger pull
  • heavy tool marks in barrel
  • short butt stock
  • the need to use extra high rings for the scope, yet they did not provide enough comb on the stock even though there are no open sights on barrel (not D&T)
Here is a comparison I'll draw between this rifle and my Rossi Single Shots.

Trigger pull - All three of my Single Shots have a very nice trigger at 3½. The difference with the H&R is quite noticeable at the bench. I found myself thinking "is this durn thing ever going to go off."

Interior barrel finish - flawless on the my Single Shots

Butt Stock - I had bought an aftermarket Choate stock set and it quickly become apparent just how short the H&R/Marlin/Remington stock on this combo is. The Choate stock is a standard H&R replacement and is 1.25" longer but went ahead and shot with the factory stock. The difference doesn't sound like much but to a big guy on a heavy recoil rifle, the factory stock is too short. The recoil is really felt as well, the comb is too short and there is almost a snap at the shot. Rossi uses a steel rod in their synthetic stock, I think I weighed it at a pound some time back, and that rod is anchored at the fore and aft end of the stock. I guess that is what I felt, the thin walled stock flexing at the shot. It is delivering a snap to the cheek that should not be felt.

Scope Rings - H&R has never bobbed their hammer and despite this being a scope only rifle, you need Extra High (Weaver) rings to clear the hammer drop. That places the POI 2" above the bore and does nothing for accuracy. The Rossi needs only High Weaver rings placing the POI 1.5" over the bore, what I would call the standard. Rossi needs a raised comb on their stock, not the detachable cheek piece, but that is a moot point in that it has been dropped from production.

The Rossi is shy the quick detach sling swivels that the H&R uses. The Rossi fixed sling swivels are a pain in use.
Michael
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

I must be lucky. I purchased two H&Rs in 44 magnum. Both were great. Good quality, great trigger pulls, not a single issue. My family has taken quite a few deer with one of them. I will admit though that I was able to inspect each one in person prior to purchase. I guess like I mentioned in my very first post; guns are mechanical devices and all are subject to problems (regardless of who made them).