H&R 35 Rem & 444 Marlin Combo!

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

H&R 35 Rem & 444 Marlin Combo!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Still have not seen the CVA full sized rifle chambered in 35 Rem but I did find a H&R combo with both 35 Rem and 444 Marlin barrels. In that this covers two of my favorite cartridges and I have a huge amount of components for both, I just could not pass!
72541_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: H&R 35 Rem & 444 Marlin Combo!

Post by klr »

Nice! Of course we'll be expecting the full report once you shoot them. ;)
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Awesome, now less hope the lockup is tight n right. On the hinge point n pin. I look forward to your results.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have 1 single shot and it's a Winchester 1885 Miroku in .22 LR.

Now that I've got a .444 I MIGHT be convinced to get another if the price was right.

I'd have to sort of get the .35 Remington the same way I got the Marlin to convince me to get into that caliber. IF ammo / brass is as hard to get as it seems I might just end up with it as a wall hanger.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:Now that I've got a .444 I MIGHT be convinced to get another if the price was right.
Bud's does have H&R chambered in 444 Marlin for $229!
Archer wrote:I'd have to sort of get the .35 Remington the same way I got the Marlin to convince me to get into that caliber. IF ammo / brass is as hard to get as it seems I might just end up with it as a wall hanger.
The 35 Rem has become a "cult" thing as brass is tough to find or expensive.

I probably ought to split this out into a stand alone topic.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

What a utter disappointment. First things first, Bud's takes forever to ship. Period! They like to excuse it away but no, they are absolutely sorry in this respect. Every gun I buy, and I have bought hundreds in my life, has been shipped in and no one, I mean no one is as slow as Bud's.

Their delay in shipping caused me to not be able to pick it up as I had gotten too busy on my ranch with work that has a deadline. I finally broke away, I need three hours to get there and back, and that is all the time I had. I was picking up two rifles, a Rossi R308MBS Single Shot and the H&R Combo.

When I opened the H&R, I was really disappointed. It had a cheap Mossy Oak stock on it rather than just the black synthetic. It looks like my grandson's $20 Red Ryder BB Gun. No joke.

Next I checked both barrels and they do have tooling marks that was reported by the owners on Cast Boolits. This issue can be resolved with light fire lapping but still, seeing if for yourself causes you to realize just how low Remington has sunk and why H&R has failed.

While handling the barrels, I realized that the combo was packed dry, absolutely no oil on anything. There was very light surface rust on everything so at the FFL I asked for gun oil and a paper towel to see how easy it was to remove. The rust was present not because the metal was dry it was rusty because the bluing is so weak on the barrels it is almost nonexistent. The receiver is deep blued and it was rust free.

Because of the time issue and the fact that my FFL had been holding the rifles, I went ahead and processed the paperwork but there is no doubt based on just the facts above, I should have sent it back to Bud's before it was mine!

It has been over a week now with no time to open the box again. After supper last night, I went out to take the rifle out and start on the barrels despite being bone tired. I had cleaned the 444 Marlin barrel and then removed the stock from the receiver, flush the receiver with cleaner, and the lubed it. I was working the hammer against the trigger just to feel it and "snap" something broke inside the receiver. The hammer will no longer cock. It moves back but will not lock, springing forward. I literately dropped everything into the box on the floor about as disgusted as I could get.

So, I guess on Monday I will stop everything taking place here and take the time to call H&R to see about a return. If it is repaired, I will not fool with it any further and immediately place it on consignment with my FFL. At least it can be sold NIB.

Fifteen years ago I owned Handi-Rifles chambered in 223 Rem, 30-30 Win, and 444 Marlin. The funny thing about them is they all had to go to the factory for issues. The first two never worked out but the 444 Marlin was a good rifle despite a heavy trigger pull. I guess I am just snake bit with the H&R product and I know there is quite a cult following but I've spent my last buck on them.

Earlier this year, my friend Joe showed up with a NIB H&R 22 Hornet. We set it up with a scope and he shot it with factory ammo. It shot awful and had that boat anchor trigger pull. He asked me what to do about it and I said take it back. He did and the store gave him a full credit on Mini-14.
Michael
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Some 6-7 years ago I bought a bull barrel H&R "Varminter" in .223 and a pretty good supply of steel core ammunition. Had the wild idea that I could turn it into a 300+ yard hog gun (head shots) on a 1200 acre farm I had access to. Before I got 50 rounds through the barrel, the trigger was seizing up and my ffl bud shipped it back to Remington. They did fix the issue, but the trigger still felt like a 12 lb pull with 60 grit sandpaper glued to the sear. I wasted about a month more trying to make a shooter out of that thing and never could get better than 2 moa. I considered taking the barrel off, heating the muzzle end red hot, and hammering it into a claw for a big pry bar, but figured it would just bend if I tried to use it. I ended up trading it for a NIB Marlin Model 60 with carbon fiber stock ... only lost a bunch of wasted ammunition, a couple of months of frustration and maybe 50 bucks for the experience. Haven't shot the Model 60 in about 3 years, since I don't want to blow my last two bricks of overpriced, unobtanium, .22 cal ammunition. Might need it for the zombie apocalypse some day :roll: .

I decided with that H&R it was to be the last time I would attempt to beat the odds in finding a real "shooter" from the lower end of the spectrum. I miss the old days when H&R was at least decent "entry level" quality.

Just my most recent H&R experience

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

Hmm,I guess I'll forget about that 44 mag H&R I been looking at.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jdl447 wrote:Hmm,I guess I'll forget about that 44 mag H&R I been looking at.
What I would go with is the CVA Hunter (#5430) or the Rossi R44MBS. Both are hard to find as of late. There is a CVA Hunter 44 Mag on GunBroker, closing today with no bids at this time. I've been watching for a full size CVA Hunter chambered in 35 Rem but I've come to think that they are a unicorn. I had the Compact 35 Rem but it was too small for my use so I gave it to a friend who loves it. Not finding the CVA is what turned me toward the Handi-Rifle Combo.

Speaking of my Handi, it is packaged up and ready for a trip to gunshop in Dallas that is contracted to handle H&R/Remington repairs. The CS Agent answered and setup the return very quickly. The UPS shipping label was emailed to me so there is no shipping expense. I did ask about the status and was told that the Company is moving to the Remington facility in Huntsville, AL and will resume production once they are setup in the facility.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Maybe they can do it right after the move but that has not been Remington's mode of operation