Parts is Parts, AR-15 in the works

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Parts is Parts, AR-15 in the works

Post by Archer »

I decided to assemble one of my AR receivers that's been hanging around for a few years.
Bought three bags of parts from PSA and plan on assembly once it gets here. I'll have to dip into the parts bin for a rear sight and charging handle.

Flat top 16" SS 1:7 5.56 with Magpul furniture.

Not certain which lower I'll use for this one. I should have both a pre and post ban receiver lying around somewhere in the disaster zone that is my domicile. Pre-ban means mag release. Post ban means silly posterior bullet button. I KNOW where the post ban ones are but I hid the pre ban one before going on a two plus year TDY and I haven't figured out exactly where it ended up.

I already have an older Bushmaster from back before the Kaliban went into effect.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Parts is Parts, AR-15 in the works

Post by akuser47 »

Nice archer I love the 1:7 barrels in medium profiles. My DDM4V5 has a 1:7 it's great with 62 grain m855 surplus and black hills match grade.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Picked up the parts from my bud's place earlier today.
Look good but I'll have to do some assembly.

Mid length gas system. Magpul MOE furniture in black. Pulled a BCM charging handle out of the parts bin.
A frame front sight.
The only rear sight I've got at the moment is a carry handle sight. The shop was out of MagPul Pro rears and MBUS black rears today and I think the MBUS is over priced.

This one is going to be my lighter weight low drag platform at least for now.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love my magpul pro sights they cowitness perfectly on my ddm4v5 with its hhs1 combo.
They look like they aren't there when folded down. I only hope they'll sell tritium front sight post eventually. I love where ur biuld going keep us posted.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Probably put the lower together this weekend.
PSA lower parts kit with Magpul MOE pistol grip and trigger guard. MOE stock for now. May upgrade to a CTR later to keep it light or might just continue with the KISS method.

The PSA premium BCG and the upper with the stainless barrel look good.
Put it on my Bushmaster lower just for chuckles after a little oil on the BCG and it checked out ok.
Took it back off and put the Bushy back together. I'll have to take them both to the range next time out.

----
Got me wanting to do a few upgrades on the Bushmaster as it is old school M4 ish, and got me wanting to start the next one. That one's planning on being White Oak Armory fluted SS barrel.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice archer keep us posted to how they perform.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Got a 16" White Oak Armament SS Wylde chambered 1:7 fluted mid length gas system on preorder.
They are selling them through tomorrow for delivery in September.

http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/xcart/p ... 312&page=1

This may seem redundant and expensive compared to the PSA but I've been wanting one of these barrels for a while and the $300 price with gas block and tube is pretty good compared to what I've seen them going for at times. Around here they are extremely well thought of barrels.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Dropped by the shop today to borrow their bench vise and tools to complete the assembly on the PSA parts kit with a LRB lower receiver.

Installed the PSA kit with the included MagPul MOE trigger guard, pistol grip and stock.
Stock is a little loose but no more so than expected. Typical fit for a MOE.
Replaced the mag catch with the CA required bullet button.
Replaced the end plate in the kit with a Magpul ASAP single point mount.
Used the VLTOR BCM medium charging handle and the carry handle sight from the parts box.

Roll pin starter punch was useful for the bolt catch pin.
Pivot pin slave pin was very nice installing the pivot pin with detent.
Magpul multi wrench was used for the castle nut on the buffer tube/receiver extension tube.
DPMS lower receiver vise block to help hold the receiver.
Universal bench block to back up the trigger guard ears on the receiver when driving the roll pin in place.
Couple different screwdrivers / hex bits for the grip screw, trigger guard set screw, bullet button installation. Also a few mixed roll pin punches and flat punches plus a small non marring hammer and a medium/large hammer.

Build went well and overall I'm pretty happy with it.
I also completed another lower with a DPMS lower parts kit and a LaRue buffer tube.

I'm somewhat happier with the DPMS parts as the trigger reset seems to be cleaner.
I expect I can clean up the PSA parts more or less any time I'm willing to take the lower back down and stone the fire control group with my black or translucent Arkansas stones. Probably either need to take a slip or a dremel bob to the underside of the disconnector engagement surface as I expect that some roughness or tool marks there may be what I'm actually feeling. Functionally it is fine and only noticeable during the reset. I suspect a light polish of the engagement surfaces might crisp the pull up slightly without changing the pull weight. I've seen people try to lighten up the triggers on these by stoning them and it usually does not end well. IF I open it up for polishing that will be the extent of my efforts, no angle changes, no attempt to change the pull weight. If I want to do that then I'll just buy a Geissel or Timney or possibly a AGL unit.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea geissle are nice I've put them into my buddies ar15 s amazing triggers. I haven't played with the timney much but like how it is a self contained unit. Reviews seem positive and price point not to bad.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Wilson is making or marketing a unitized one now that is supposed to be pretty darned good as well.