Bought a new range / rabbit rifle

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Livefast123

Bought a new range / rabbit rifle

Post by Livefast123 »

After fancying a new .22LR for a while I finally got my licence back with the slot allowing me to purchase one. My gun collection is pretty varied and covers all era's from the cowboy Rossi 92 to the Civil War 1858 Remington and present day 1911. I had really fancied a black rifle for a long time but they are very expensive in the UK (around $800 - 1000)

Browsing Guntrader I saw that a local shop were selling GSG - 522s for £299 brand new, I pretty much did a bit of internet research then got straight in the car and went to have a look.

I didn't take much persuading and came back with this :-
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg
It's the GSG - 522 SD model which means it comes with the full length barrel shroud and this one also comes with the sliding stock which is handy as in time I can train my daughter with it. The gun is all metal with a polymer lower and is far better quality than I expected it to be. It is actually only a little bit lighter than a proper MP5 so feels great to hold. The controls are as close to an MP5 as possible without HK suing GSG again and it has the classic charging handle which feels oh so satisfying to slap home! The trigger is typical of this type of gun but once you get used to it is fine, it has a mushy first stage but a predictable 2nd and let off. The metal has a sort of parkerised black matt finish which adds to the authenticity.

So far I have fed it CCI Mini Mag, American Eagle and some cheapo stuff I borrowed when I ran out of ammo at the range, I haven't had any FTF or FTE in the first 500 rounds so things are looking promising. Accuracy is decent although I have been concentrating more on having fun. Not having used the HK drum sights before I just put a Eotech clone on top and hopefully we'll see what it can do this weekend!

I can see this getting expensive on the old .22LR

Next plan is to see if I can source a GSG conversion kit and claw mount from the great US of A as is usual with the UK, I cannot seem to find them anywhere!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Bought a new range / rabbit rifle

Post by akuser47 »

I have a gsg5 with screw upgrade done and blue Loctite to keep the bolt from comeing apart great guns for the money. With regular maintenance and cleaning They are awesome. Congrats I likethat model better than mine it looks more realistic. They are accurate and if you notice a decline in accuracy suddenly then it means time to tear down clean and retighten all scews blue Loctite them to. There is a barrel set screw that is known to come loose and cause accuracy and function to suffer. All are easy fixes though.
I got almost all my upgrades from here hk pushpins screw upgrade,
http://rrages.com/
This is how mine was stock
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Livefast123

Post by Livefast123 »

Thanks for the tips ak, I have the screwdriver and loctite at the ready!

Your one has all the copycat MP5 parts pre HK suing not that i'm jealous...... :mrgreen: GSG do a coversion kit that sells for $19.99 in the US but nobody will post to the UK :evil:

What claw mount do you have?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The claw mount was from rrages linked above I think he used to ship international email him n check. Its nothing fancy but does the job if I actually had a micro reddot like the fastfire or primary arms micro dots. it will cowitness with the irons. That kobra red dot is old school russian tech works in a pinch I no longer have it on my gsg5. You are correct mine is pre lawsuit as well. This forum I'm linking was started when they first came out, but it has stickies to help anyone that owns one. Worth checking it out
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/41_GSG_5.html
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!