Deal on a CVA Hunter Compact

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Deal on a CVA Hunter Compact

Post by klr »

$170 and RD-approved from reading the review. ;)

http://grabagun.com/cva-cr5800-hunter-c ... rifle.html
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Deal on a CVA Hunter Compact

Post by klr »

Only 9 views? Must not be much love for the CVA single shots, but I think you guys are missing the boat. ;)

I got mine today and I'm extremely pleased with the quality. Way better than the Rossis I've examined at the gun store and my H&R Handi rifle. Everything works smooth and slick and the trigger is incredible. I got home late and as the light was fading I quickly slapped on a cheap scope and threw together a mid-range load with a 200gr jsp. Put out my back yard target, jogged back to the shooting bench, and while breathing hard quickly banged 3 into .85" @ 55 yds. Given this, I figure it should be a consistent 1.5 MOA rifle. Not bad for $190 OTD.

Now I need to decide if I want to ream to .358 Win or convert 308 brass to 35 Rem.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:Only 9 views? Must not be much love for the CVA single shots, but I think you guys are missing the boat. ;)
That is a heck of a price but I wish they had the full size rifle rather than the compact. The only "5804"s that I've been able to find in stock have been the first generation rifles. Those rifle have the chucky "Wizard" type stock and are not the attractive rifle that the second generation are. CVA says that they are still available but I sure have not found one in a years time.
klr wrote:I got mine today and I'm extremely pleased with the quality. Way better than the Rossis I've examined at the gun store and my H&R Handi rifle. Everything works smooth and slick and the trigger is incredible. I got home late and as the light was fading I quickly slapped on a cheap scope and threw together a mid-range load with a 200gr jsp. Put out my back yard target, jogged back to the shooting bench, and while breathing hard quickly banged 3 into .85" @ 55 yds. Given this, I figure it should be a consistent 1.5 MOA rifle. Not bad for $190 OTD.

Now I need to decide if I want to ream to .358 Win or convert 308 brass to 35 Rem.
I agree with everything that you have said. A fellow over on CastBoolits rechamber a 35 Rem to 358 Win. Not sure why as the 35 Rem will do anything the the 358 can. It must be a brass thing.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Ranch Dog wrote: I agree with everything that you have said. A fellow over on CastBoolits rechamber a 35 Rem to 358 Win. Not sure why as the 35 Rem will do anything the the 358 can. It must be a brass thing.
That's the post that hooked me. The 358 conversion is due to brass. It's nearly impossible to find 35 Rem and when you do, expect to pay nearly a dollar per round for once-fired. My son has my old Marlin in 35 Rem so I've been experimenting with converting 308 brass. The lower part of the brass needs turned to .457" and the neck needs turned to a consistent thickness.

Given the quality of the rifle, I'm surprised you don't just add an inch to the stock and slip on a recoil pad to cover it. Maybe you want the 22" barrel too?

I've spent too much this past month, but I'm really tempted to buy another for a project gun. I could sell my Handi rifle and build a short barreled 300 Blackout on a CVA barrel stub. That way I'd have a rifle that would actually fire when I pulled the trigger... :roll:
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

Or you could rechamber to 357maximum and still be able to shoot 357 mags. That should give about 2000fps with 200 gr bullet.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Zippidydoodah wrote:Or you could rechamber to 357maximum and still be able to shoot 357 mags. That should give about 2000fps with 200 gr bullet.
The 35 Rem is a larger round than 357 Max and I'd still have to find expensive 357 Max brass.