TC Inpact Muzzleloader

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
triggerpull

TC Inpact Muzzleloader

Post by triggerpull »

Well--seeing how I have firmly maintained my grip on the title of world's worst deer hunter (meaning I didn't tag out)--in a final act of desperation I bought a TC Impact muzzleloader at Dick's Sporting Goods today--it was on sale for $200 and it will extend my season another 2 weeks.

Per the manual I did a field clean before use--and it took almost 10 patches that were black and filthy before the bore was reasonably clean--and the breech plug had tell-tale reddish look of ant-seize compound on it. I've always had this paranoia that big-box stores resell returned guns as new, but I'm new to black powder so my question is simply does Thomson Center test fire (and not clean) their muzzle loaders before shipping to dealers? The soreness on my backside says probably not--but I've had many other firearms built by reputable manufacturers that are test fired and delivered dirty--but TC is quite adamant about immediately cleaning black powder residue--so this seems unusual to me. What say the collective?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: TC Inpact Muzzleloader

Post by Archer »

MOST shops around here simply won't take returns on firearms, airguns or black powder weapons.
They will sometimes facilitate a return to the manufacturer for their dispensation but once you pay for it then you are more or less stuck with it.
That tends to go double for big-box retailers as they often won't or don't even know how to go about getting the manufacturer's attention where as the Local Gun Shops tend to be more personal service oriented.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

[quote][/quote]
They probably test-fired your gun, but they lube their bullets with their proprietary "bore butter" that they claim prevents corrosion to the barrel. I use it but hot soap-water
Wash mine down an it remains spotless. I also wipe the bore and exterior with "bore butter" after cleaning. I don't use regular gun oil on it. Call S&W T/C and ask them?
Bore butter is pretty good. They claim you can fire hundreds of shots without cleaning. 8-)
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

I'm learning lots--mainly what works for one person doesn't work for another--often using the same gun! Go figure, right? So far I'v learned that Pyrodex pellets leave so much crud behind after each shot that it's very difficult to seat the bullet for the next shot without a thorough cleaning. So tomorrow--weather permitting--I'm trying out Blackhorn 209 with some platinum aerotips--hopefully things will be easier going.My bang stick is dressed out with a spare prostaff scope. The rings BTW are slotted so you can still see the irons--that's why they are riding a bit high. 50 cal is nice : )
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I normally shoot sabots with 44 cal lead bullets so they are relatively easy to seat. I also have the lee Real bullets that seat easily. Your muzzle end is reamed so starting the bullet should be easy too. The only thing I did wrong was seat the bullet while talking to people. Whoops, forgot the powder! Ended my shooting that day as didn't have the jag to remove the bullet. You do learn by your mistakes. I won't forget that one.
Make smoke!
jdb

Post by jdb »

triggerpull wrote:Well--seeing how I have firmly maintained my grip on the title of world's worst deer hunter (meaning I didn't tag out)--in a final act of desperation I bought a TC Impact muzzleloader at *'s Sporting Goods today--it was on sale for $200 and it will extend my season another 2 weeks....
LOL, well, it happens to all of us Trigger. And that's a pretty good deal on a DANG good gun. TC is the best of the lot for my money. And the 1:28 rifling is perfect for shooting saboted bullets.

And I don't like Prodex a lick. And just for the reasons you mention. I far prefer black powder. Just swab it out with a wet patch every 10-15 shots and you're good to go. Heck, even a spit patch works in a pinch. ;~)

And I THINK Hodgdon actually makes something they call black powder pellets for inlines that are SUPPOSE to be water soluble like standard black powder. It's called triple 7 or something like that. Never tried it, but then I don't think they offer it for my 54 cal. ;~)

Oh, and just a note. When you hit on the load that makes ONE HOLE...and you will...be sure to mark you ramrod so that you know for fact that it is seated the same way every time. Seating too deep is just as bad as not deep enough for accuracy. I actually use a pencil to put a temporary mark for each load I try and then when I get it right, I use paint or knife notch in wood, to make it official.

Just a reminder. ;~)
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Turns out there was a small obstruction in the flash hole of the breech plug that was causing incomplete ignition--once I got that clear after much work (probably a small piece of metal) the residue cake and build-up was reduced by a huge amount. Still can't seem to get a good load for powerbelts--they seem to fly all over the place unpredictably.
jdb

Post by jdb »

triggerpull wrote:Turns out there was a small obstruction in the flash hole of the breech plug that was causing incomplete ignition--once I got that clear after much work (probably a small piece of metal) the residue cake and build-up was reduced by a huge amount. Still can't seem to get a good load for powerbelts--they seem to fly all over the place unpredictably.
Yep, if they don't ignite properly...ya gonna get fowling! Good catch on the plug obstruction.

And I hate to say it brother, but it may never shoot those belted bullets. I don't know it from experience, but I've heard others complain that their inline didn't like them either. They had better luck with saboted bullets, like Thompson Center's Shock Wave OR Cheap Shot ammo. And I think the TC was designed to work with a sabot, but not all sabots are created equal either. Hornady or one of the other sabot might work better in the gun if you're determined to use a jacketed bullet.

BUT the first thing I would try if I couldn't get those high tech copper bullets to group is to get a box of the Thompson Center Maxi Hunter. It's a prelubed lead bullet with no sabot and it SHOULD already be sized to fit a 50 cal TC barrel perfectly. And that 1:28 twist should work great with Maxi bullets. I know we use to buy replacement barrels for our old percussion cap in that twist so we could shoot maxi bullets more accurately.

And I can tell ya from experience that powder charge is CRITICAL to the accuracy of different types ammo in inline black powder. Just like it is when loading smokeless ammo for our Rossi. So it may be that if you adjust the powder load just right, it may even shoot the belted ammo. BUT you may be forced to switch to loose powder to get the exact right load. Kind of a pain over the pellets, but it may be necessary and you can always just get a couple speed loader tubes to carry with ya in the field.
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
triggerpull

Post by triggerpull »

Yup--my Impact does not like the powerbelts. However it DOES like 250 gr sst's driven by 100 gr BV 777. My barnes EZ bullets just came in--I've great things about these too.

100 yds cold, winds 20+ mph
jdb

Post by jdb »

Oh yeah...I could live with that!

Heck Trigger, with 20 mph winds, even a 250 grain 50 cal can be moved that far to the right. IF the wind was blowing generally left to right.

It will be interesting to see what happens when ya get a nice calm day to shoot. ALSO, when you drop the charge to 70, 80, 90 or bump up to 110 grains and see what happens. Sometimes a 10 grain drop or increase in the charge will take a load that groups well to a tack driver with these things.

I know with my 54 cal Renegade, with 50 grains of BP (my target load), it makes ONE HOLE at 25 yards. When I bump it up to 90 grains, it is dead on at 75 yards and makes a clover leaf. Naturally that's my hunting load. If I boost it to 110 grains it shoots REALLY hard, but it does well to group 4" at 100 yards and the point of impact moves 4" right and 2" high. It's funny how these things react to just a few grains of powder.

Looks like you are zeroing in on a GREAT hunting load brother. Looks like you're gonna end up with a tack driver!