Cz 455 varmint in a grs stock

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Cz 455 varmint in a grs stock

Post by akuser47 »

Looks great keep us posted to your modifications.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

Well, I finally found some time to do some work on my cz. Straight out of the box it was shooting some very nice groups, until I fiddled with it. First thing I did was to check that the barrel was properly floated, which it wasn't. After a bit of sanding to fix this up it was back out to the range. Put a target at 50m, fire the first shot and its a full hand span to the right, next shot and its 2" left. Next few are at point of aim. The problem is the inletting. The CZ reciever is curved at the back. The inletting is flat. Where it was touching the barrel it was helping to keep it in the one place and now it can move. Once its had a few shots it settles down but will throw about every fifth shot out of the group. Worse is when it goes in one of the racks at the range the first shot is a good 4" off.
So, next task is a bedding job. Good thing I've got some devcon left over from a previous job.
On the good side I did manage to get it down to comp weight of 4 kg. The stock is a bit shorter, a bit more ventilated at the fore end, and missing the recoil pad, but it makes weight.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

sounds good glad she is working out for you. quick question do you like devcon over acraglass better?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The smith that did my match Garand favored the Devcon Steel compound.

http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/diy/3 ... ixing.html
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

I use the devcon simply because that's what I used on the first rifle I bedded and I've never had any problems with it so I keep using it. I've actually never used anything else so I couldn't comment on the merits of one over the other. Not that I've bedded many rifles either.
I hope to bed it some time this month, then I'll get down to some serious ammo testing.
"Shoot straight you bastards, don't make a mess of it" Captain Harry "Breaker" Morant, last words to his firing squad.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

how much weight will the bedding add back to it :)

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Bedding shouldn't add much other than few ounces here n there. Unless there is serious stock fit issues.
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

I've got 30 grams to play with. For any scoped rifle I use in a match I always get it to weight with the scope caps on. That way if it gets heavier I can take them off. That's an extra 15 grams.
It does happen, I went to a shoot in Queensland, a bloke I knew went up a month earlier to do some fishing. It was very humid and his centre fire stock sucked up 15 grams of water and put him over. He was walking up and down the range asking who had a saw.
I'll put some pics up when I'm done.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

Well.......................
After bedding the action it's still shooting like a pile of €^+#. The very first shot from a cold barrel is going about 4-6 inches high and slightly to the right. The next shots are all on point of aim. Let it cool down for a few minutes and the next shot will be high and right again. After much searching on the various forums it may be a tight barrel. A few others had the same issue of first shot flyers in cz's and they found that with cz's sometimes having a slightly tighter than normal barrel that they were getting leading occurring right where the rifling starts.
The recommended fix is to scrub the first few inches with something like JB bore paste, and then clean the rifles every few hundred rounds. If this works I'll be very happy.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless
Coop 45

Post by Coop 45 »

Finally got in some jb bore paste and gave the first 100mm of the barrel a good scrub. This has fixed the first shot flyer problem straight away. I used the rifle in a major regional match last month. You know things are working when the first shot from a cold barrel hits dead centre. I just have a little cosmetic work to fix up where I took a bit of extra timber out of the stock.
92 45 Colt 20" stainless