Opinions on Remington Nylon 66?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Opinions on Remington Nylon 66?

Post by Archer »

I've always skipped over them on the racks.
I've only handled a couple three of them and they never called out to me.
I ended up with one thrown in on a deal recently that appears to be in pretty good shape for the type.

Anyone got experience with them?
Opinions and impressions welcome.
Conman

Re: Opinions on Remington Nylon 66?

Post by Conman »

Nylon 66??? I have had one since early 1960................never failed to fire at any time.............it eats anything I feed it

That big white front sight sticks out for your eye to find. For a "plinker" it is as accurate as you could want.
They are not target rifles......

DON'T take it apart.........unless something is broken. DON'T oil it...........ever!!

Every year or so you might want to pull the cover off and blow out the crud............but, that isn't really necessary.

It will fire faster than you can pull the trigger...............a great FUN GUN............

They have their own forum at www dot nylonrifles dot com slash forums slash index dot php

It happens to be off line at the moment but take a look around - it is a slooow forum.....

These days they start at about $150 and go up depending on model and condition. Enjoy the toy
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Conman wrote:Nylon 66??? I have had one since early 1960................never failed to fire at any time.............it eats anything I feed it

That big white front sight sticks out for your eye to find. For a "plinker" it is as accurate as you could want.
They are not target rifles......

DON'T take it apart.........unless something is broken. DON'T oil it...........ever!!

Every year or so you might want to pull the cover off and blow out the crud............but, that isn't really necessary.

It will fire faster than you can pull the trigger...............a great FUN GUN............

They have their own forum at www dot nylonrifles dot com slash forums slash index dot php

It happens to be off line at the moment but take a look around - it is a slooow forum.....

These days they start at about $150 and go up depending on model and condition. Enjoy the toy
agreed 100% you hit the nail on the head. enjoy it they are a interesting rifle.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The $150 and going up a mite was about what I'd expect. I'd have said this one might be 2 bills.

I've got a buddy in Texas who says there he's seen brown ones going for $400 and the black ones are substantially more and mostly you don't see any actually for sale.

This one is Black and Chrome with the white diamond on the fore end. It is not an AB serial. It is marked patent pending and 66.

I know where there's a brown one in not quite the same shape that I've been dodging for a while. I tend to gravitate to lever 22s, 10/22s and affordable target .22s more than plinkers although most of what I do is plinking. I missed out on a 9422 a week or so ago that I'm a bit bummed about but there'll be another day.
Conman

Post by Conman »

Archer,

There are some alpha characters stamped into the barrel just in front of the rear sight - on the left side.

Those will get you the information you need to find out manufacture date.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by rman »

They were absolutely the most reliable semi-auto I ever shot. I also had a Model 77 (same gun with a removable magazine) It was great too, but didn't feed as reliably.
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
Conman

Post by Conman »

Here is a piece of history on the Nylon's that was published in the Oct 2014 Guns & Ammo magazine:

mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Thanks for the flashback, Conman. Very informative history lesson.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

My uncle had one in Seneca Green when I was a kid, and I borrowed it frequently to hunt the local rabbit population.

Give their comparative rarity I'd have loved to have had it then, and even more so now.

As others have stated I found it to be very reliable and more accurate than the average .22LR sporter of the day.

As far as cost went, they were not as cheap as a Springfield or Savage-Stevens semi-auto of the day, but they were of better quality, more accurate, more reliable and more durable and were a superb value.

Nice examples seem to be selling in the $300-$400 range around here.

----

After Remington stopped production of the Nylon 66 in 1989, CBC (Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos) in Brazil bought the rights as well as the production equipment and started making a copy of the Nylon 66 as the "GR8" and continued to do so until about 1995. They were imported by F.I.E.. Kassanar (K.B.I) also imported them into the US in 1989 and 1990 as the Kassanar Nylon 66, and Magtech started importing them from 1991-95 as the MT-66.

They get a lot of hate from Remington purists, but they are exact copies made on the same tooling as the Nylon 66 with 100% parts interchangeability. A lot of people who have them seem to like them and they seem to shoot as well as a Remington version in similar condition.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Thanks guys.
I really appreciate the opinions and experiences.

Looks like I'm going to have to take this one to the range.

--
Speaking of Remington purists...

I had a buddy who purchased a Remington Viper rifle several years ago.

It had a number of internal plastic parts made of a red plastic with a consistency similar to styrene used to make plastic models. In addition to guide rods I recall it also had a plastic magazine catch. My buddy was showing me the gun and slammed the mag into the gun. It promptly fell on the floor. I had seen something fly away from the gun and when I picked it off the carpet it was the mag catch. Seems the plastic catch was a rather thin lever with a heat bradded plastic pin that went through a steel leaf spring. That pin was only about a half millimeter in diameter. The catch more or less folded in half AND the pin in the spring busted at the same time rendering his brand new semiauto into a rather expensive and not easily loaded single shot.

I have a tendency to try and look things over no matter what they are before I put money on them but that experience made me look pretty hard at Remington products I might be considering buying.