Snagged another wheelgun

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Snagged another wheelgun

Post by Archer »

Smith 686 (no dash square butt) 6" in decent shape. Mechanically seems to be excellent.
Maybe a few surface handling marks but no holster wear.
Paid a bit more than usual this time.
Package deal though so it averaged out about right.
Counting tax tag and title it comes out to $365 on average to maybe $586 depending on how you break it down.

I MIGHT just have to send this one to Smith for a tune and target hammer / trigger.
rman
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Snagged another wheelgun

Post by rman »

Sounds like a good find Archer!
At my age, there IS nothing better than shooting.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Def. Keep us posted Smith n Wesson custom shop does amazing work as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

sounds like a really good find. My bet is that it is already a "shooter" without any additional tune-up, unless you're into race-gunning

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
jdb

Post by jdb »

Good get Archer. At EITHER price it's worth the money. I've had mine for several years and love it just as much today as I did when I bought it new. Actually, better. The best I can tell, they just get better and better the more ya shoot um. ;~)

And you really will love it if you get a tune up. I did a little work on mine and it made a BIG difference. But I have a buddy who sent his back for a problem and Smith tuned it up for free. All I can say is it is AMAZING. Makes an already great gun superb!
"As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind." Thomas Jefferson
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm NOT a competition shooter.
I do have a 629 that supposedly went through the Smith custom shop and it is NICE.

I also have another 686 4" round butt that was a guard gun in good shape but with some holster wear. The trigger on that one is pretty darn good for a 'stock' gun. Got it from the owner who said it deserved a new home as it only sat in his safe now that they'd transitioned to autos.

The trigger on this one isn't up to those other two.
I sort of wish Smith had gone with one butt style and stuck to it. I've got a pair of custom Hogue grips for the 4". Rosewood laminate finger groove w/ fish scale checkering. I'd love to have the same on most of the rest of my Smiths but that's quite a chunk of change when you start adding them up.