Taurus Revolvers

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Taurus Raging Bull 454 Casull

Post by Arktikos »

I know this is an old post but I have found a revolver here locally that would be a nice mate for my M92 454 Casull. It is a Taurus 2005 454 stainless, 5" barrel and 5 round cylinder in "excellent" condition for $695. In order to swing it I would have to sell another gun, in this case It would be my 1894 Marlin 45 LC as my Rossi kinda takes its place.. What does anyone know about the Raging Bull and would $695 be a good price. Thanks
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Taurus Revolvers

Post by Ranch Dog »

This should be the handgun you speak of, a Taurus model #2454059M...
RB5.jpg
I think it is a hoss! I would add the 2 1/4" barrel version to my conceal carry revolver line up if I could find it at that price. The list price is $1063 and the last price Bud's had was $751 but of course they are out of stock. I've been watching the 2 1/4" on GB and I do not think you would find one for less than that, my guess would around $800, plus have to pay shipping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

That's the one.. Think I'll see if it is still available tomorrow as it would be a nice addition to the Rossi. I am having mixed feelings about selling my 1894 Marlin but now that I have the Rossi the Marlin probably isn't all that needed whereas a 454 Casull revolver would be a good gun to carry everywhere in the woods.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:I am having mixed feelings about selling my 1894 Marlin but now that I have the Rossi the Marlin probably isn't all that needed whereas a 454 Casull revolver would be a good gun to carry everywhere in the woods.
I too am considering selling my 1894C, P, and S (357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt) and it boils down to a comparison against the R92. The "C" weighs a pound and a half more than the Rossi and the other two a pound more than the competitor. Makes it tough to pick the Marlins up. Mechanically, they all are super dependable. Ballistically, none have the edge over the other. The metal work is better on the Rossi's but the wood is better on the Marlins except the "C" which has that famous Marlin broomstick quality about it. Of course, the Rossi's wood polish up really pretty putting them ahead of the Marlin with a little elbow grease. I have Tru-Oiled a Marlin but it is tough work as you must remove the Mar-Shield finish.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Arktikos wrote:I am having mixed feelings about selling my 1894 Marlin but now that I have the Rossi the Marlin probably isn't all that needed whereas a 454 Casull revolver would be a good gun to carry everywhere in the woods.
I too am considering selling my 1894C, P, and S (357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt) and it boils down to a comparison against the R92. The "C" weighs a pound and a half more than the Rossi and the other two a pound more than the competitor. Makes it tough to pick the Marlins up. Mechanically, they all are super dependable. Ballistically, none have the edge over the other. The metal work is better on the Rossi's but the wood is better on the Marlins except the "C" which has that famous Marlin broomstick quality about it. Of course, the Rossi's wood polish up really pretty putting them ahead of the Marlin with a little elbow grease. I have Tru-Oiled a Marlin but it is tough work as you must remove the Mar-Shield finish.
I would prefer to hang onto the Marlin because it is a JM model, but it just is not that practical for me to have 2 leverguns that shoot the same caliber. I don't have a large budget for guns, and in order to keep the marital bliss from degrading I have been holding myself to 4 guns for the time being while we have an unfinished duplex I am renovating myself plus an unfinished retirement house 80 miles away I am building (also by myself). Once those are finished then I will be expanding my gun cabinet considerably . I sold my Ruger blackhawk when I bought the Rossi, a deal I have no regrets about, as I never felt comfortable with the 45 Colt BH as an effective bear protection gun whereas the Raging Bull 454 would make me feel I have a fighting chance.. When and if it comes down to it one shouldn't want to do battle with a 900lb killer and be under gunned.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Was too late, that Taurus was sold but the guy thinks he can find me another so will have to wait and see!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:Was too late, that Taurus was sold but the guy thinks he can find me another so will have to wait and see!
Yeah was afraid of that. I would imagine in your neck of the woods that is a popular handgun.

...typos courtesy of Tapatalk!
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Arktikos wrote:Was too late, that Taurus was sold but the guy thinks he can find me another so will have to wait and see!
Yeah was afraid of that. I would imagine in your neck of the woods that is a popular handgun.

...typos courtesy of Tapatalk!
Yes it is. There are quite a few FA 454's out here too although those prices, even used pretty much bar me from entrance to that elite group! I think for bear protection a DA would likely be preferred anyway. When the bear is eating my leg like a piece of chicken I may not have the wherewithal to pull the hammer back on the Freedom Arms, but might be able to put a few pills in his skull at point blank in DA mode with the Taurus.. . :roll:
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Well my 1894 45LC Marlin is sold, and I am now actively looking for a 454 Casull revolver to replace it. I am now considering both the 5" and 2.5" Raging Bull as well as the Redhawk Alaskan, which appear to be made of gold for the money they fetch. I prefer the Taurus as I like the ported barrel as well as the cheaper price and I do see them on Gun Broker, but I just have never warmed up to the idea of bidding on guns that I can't check out in person. I may be settling in for a long wait as Gun Genie now says that "stock watch" has been suspended due to unprecedented demand for both the Ruger and Taurus. To cap it off, yesterday I went looking for small rifle primers for use with all the 454 Casull brass I ordered and found out that there are NO primers of any type in town. I still have lots of 45 Colt brass and large pistol primers but am going to be wanting to load up some bear rounds soon. I hope things normalize soon or I am going to be shooting a lot of 22LR this summer! :roll:

Post by 0369 »

The Alaskans are nearly impossible to find. I was also looking at the 2.5" Taurus and almost grabbed one when the dealer I got my 92 from had one hanging from the ceiling. I didn't notice it untill I was filling out the 4473 for the 92. By the way, my local dealer had the Raging Bull for $771 new.