My mosin nagant sporter build

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: My mosin nagant sporter build

Post by akuser47 »

Yes there is silver bear and other russian noncoorrosive around to use with them if so desired but the cost is crazy compared to the surplus. For the cost of 20 rounds non corrosive you could buy over 160 rounds on average of surplus ammo. corrosive ammo in a bolt action is easy to deal with its ak's I hate to use it in iy contaminates the gas system and even when you think it is clean you see the mean green start to appear. lol I try to only use it in bolt actions like the mosin nagant 91/30and the m 44 carbine.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

So, does one buy Windex in the gallon jugs?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I fisrt started with windex but discovered hot water is better as it is the the corrosive salts that need to be removed and this is better done with water and hot water evaporates as to not cause rust itself. I then clean and oil as I would with solvents and oils to protect as I do with all my guns. Windex because of the amonia evaporates fast but the water in it is what is actaully doing the work on corrosive salts in the gun. So hot water works as well.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

I can see that as being pretty easy in a bolt gun, with the bolt removed ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

With the very long bolt handle, do you have any trouble with binding of the bolt when you cycle the action?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

massmanute wrote:With the very long bolt handle, do you have any trouble with binding of the bolt when you cycle the action?
If the gun is crisp and not worn in the bolt handle movement will often be a bit clunky.
If the cosmoline has not been fully removed the action can also be stiff or sticky.

The sharp edges on the wartime communist production will wear down quickly but the guns will never be a 1903 Springfield, Brit Enfield, 1917, or even one of the various Mausers for smoothness of action.

I have a can of ammo for one of these I purchased after a buddy bought a crisp one and I was impressed while we were cleaning it up. But after messing with his and remembering other Mosin guns I've handled I decided to pay 4 times as much for ammo and get a Husqvarna Swede 1938. I'll probably end up donating the ammo to one of three of my buds who own one of these.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I love mausers and enfieldsheck less say I am a sucker for surplus arms in general. The enfield III i shot last week seemed to have the smoothest action Ive ever encountered. Ive shot some really nice 1903 rifles at camp perry but the enfields action ive turned to love just wish as with other surplus I had bought one when they were dirt cheap.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The only Enfield I have is a 1917 Winchester. I think I got it for about $100 and paid $60 for the original sight parts when I removed the B-Square mount and moved the VXII 2-7 off it to my Remington Model FIVE.

I missed out on getting a 1914 when they were easy to get and didn't bite on one of the Brit Enfield variants when they were affordable either. I recall stacks of them at $80 each and now the most recent ones I've seen have topped $500 albeit in excellent shape w/no cosmoline. The round unfortunately has never really become common shelf fair in the U.S..

Probably paid too much on a 1903 Springfield as I didn't manage it until they were sought after. Passed up the last two I had a chance at in spite of probably being able to get a decent deal as I just didn't have the coin.

The Swede I just managed to get for $125 which I consider a very good price given that Mosins are going for more here in worse shape. A case of ammo will probably last me a lifetime even if I must reload it several times.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Wanted to dido what Akuser said about cleaning. It's really no different then black powder and it substitutes for cleaning and thats water or water based solvents. The corrosive action is similar as well, the salts. I love my Mosin., only had it out to the range a few weeks ago. It is pure stock, hex barrel, and bad to the bone, that would be shoulder bone that is, you don't want to fire a whole lot with out some kind of recoil protection. I had picked up a sardine can of it, berdan primmed, steel cases. I hate loosing the reloading ability of those cases. At 200m it's deadly accurate. But heck it's designed for up 1000m, so it should be accurate at 2. I read that after the iron curtain fell, millions of these rifles went on the market. Sure nothing last forever but I would propose that the sardine cans of ammo will be available for a while yet. Archer mentioned at the end of his story, that he will reload. Is there surplus in brass? Or can you really reload steel with standard dies? I thought not in both cases, I'd like to be wrong, can someone comment on that please.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

On ak forums there are some that do reload their steel cases. They dont last long but it can be done.
The best thing is to actaully get some real brass ammo shot it then start loading it.