Ruger American

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Ruger American

Post by Jeff H »

I have seen derogatory posts about the Ruger American elswhere so I won't waste my breath there. Seems to be some resonable and rational folks here who are open to new ideas. My personal preference in bolt-guns is the 98 Mauser. Nothing against the other stuff, that's just what I like and it is one aspect of my life over which I have had the luxury of exercising my own prerogatives without compromise.

I handled a Ruger American today. I was impressed. $339 and tax for a new rifle today is very appealing. It looks like it was made well and I like the design featues - even the plastic detachable magazine. This specimen was in 30-06 and the gentleman who showed it to me has no worries about having to share it becasue it feels like it weighs about five pounds. The stock felt great and I liked the angle and slenderness of the grip particularly. Trigger has some very minor creep but is much better than any oth-of-the-boc Ruger I have ever handled save for the single shots.

I think Ruger made a wise decision and has done well by the shooting public. Everything is going up and up and up in price and folks without unlimited disposable income are getting pressed from many directions. I would hate to see the number of shooters and gun owners in this country start to decline. Yeah, people are buying guins like crazy but I know a lot of them who aren't because the can't. More gun owners is good, period.

I will report back after he shoots it. He is VERY picky and VERY critical and will weed out any deficiencies. He has a mind for mechanica and firearms like few I have personally ever met and done some extraordinary gunsmithing in his time so we will get good feedback. He's excited because he hasn't had a lightweight '06 that suited him in decades.

I will share more as I have it.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Ruger American

Post by pricedo »

The Ruger American is a nice looking firearm & very reasonably priced.
Ruger is just about the last "Made in the USA" major arms manufacturer stronghold left.
I haven't heard many complaints about Ruger quality and workmanship per se.
I have heard harsh critiques in the past about the "unorthodox"(or what some thought were "off the wall") styles of guns Ruger produced like the 96 series leverguns which are excellent guns by the way (I own a 96/44) but very seldom about quality.
At first blush it looks to me like Ruger copied various aspects of other manufacturers bolt rifle designs and compiled them into the Ruger American........and Christmas is on December 25. ;) ............WHAT ELSE IS NEW? :lol:
The most quality related beefs I've heard recently are about Marlins (Remlins) & Rossis..........not all but certainly some of them have been deserved.
It would be very helpful for a RR member who has a "Ruger American" to honor us with a range report to "clear the foggy air" on the Ruger American.
If past practice is any predictor I'll bet it's a fine rifle in both quality, workmanship and performance and reasonably priced as most Rugers are. :D
Am I bias......YES!.......I own alota Ruger handguns & rifles.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Ruger is not my favorite gun company, but not my least favorite either. I'm just pointing it out because there seems to be a lot of people who think Ruger can do no wrong and a large number who think they can do no right. They have some guns I like, some I don't like, and some I care nothing about either way.

I have looked at only one Ruger American Rifle. I have all I need of that type of rifle so had no interest in buying one. I also didn't expect much. So looking at a rifle I had no use for and had already pre-judged, I didn't expect to have it in my hands for long.
But I looked it over for a while. it was OK. The trigger was really nice on the one I saw. I didn't know they came with scope bases, so that was a plus. I have no problem with the plastic magazine (the ones with my Steyr Scout are some of the best magazines I've had for a rifle).
For the price? Heck yeah, I'd buy one if I didn't have enough bolt action sporters, I'd buy one.
They were asking $349 for theirs. And they had three or four come in, which is more Ruger bolt actions than I'm used to seeing come in at once, so supply might be decent.

I miss the budget bolt guns like the Win 670, Rem 788, and the 1980s Rem 78, and it looks like this is the new iteration. Which brings me back to the price- The 788 was selling for around $250 when they disappeared, so $349 for the Ruger now doesn't seem too bad in comparison. The Ruger 77V I bought 27 years ago in 1985 was $335.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Barry in IN wrote:Ruger is not my favorite gun company, but not my least favorite either. I'm just pointing it out because there seems to be a lot of people who think Ruger can do no wrong and a large number who think they can do no right. They have some guns I like, some I don't like, and some I care nothing about either way.
Guess it kinda depends on what you're looking for.
To me a gun is a tool first, a recreational plaything next and a piece of artwork last.
I like basic quality, workmanship, good materials, good hunting performance, dependability and responsive & accountable customer service for a reasonable price.
My Ruger MKII All-Weather stainless M77 in .300 Win Mag is a copy of the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 but built solid like a Russian tank. My M77 rifle & the Leupold 3-9x40mm scope that is on it have taken bangs & bounces, drownings, falls on the various backwoods adventures I have been on and has put down 18 moose over the years and will probable do so again this year. When I'm squeezing down on a huge bull I know with "100% Ruger confidence" when the trigger breaks the moose is going to hit the ground. This one gun alone has given me a liking for Ruger products.
I have umpteen utility sporting bolt actions & won't be buying one in the predictable future but If the Ruger American is in the same league as my M77 it is a good gun & a good buy for someone looking for a basic, good quality, solid performing, and very robust firearm at an affordable price.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA