(Range Report) Zastava Mini Mauser in .22 Hornet

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

(Range Report) Zastava Mini Mauser in .22 Hornet

Post by Model 52 »

I had an Interarms Mk X in .243 and I built a custom Mauser on an Mk X action in .308 and both were exceptionally accurate.

I always wanted one of the Interarms Mini-Mausers before they stopped importing them, but missed the boat. I was looking for a CZ 527 in .22 Hornet, however I saw this Zastava Model 85 the other day in the local gun shop.

They are made in the same factory as the old Interarms Mausers and the exterior finish on the metal is still first rate with gorgeous deep bluing and a high degree of metal polish. They still have the same excellent cold hammer forged vanadium chrome steel barrels, and the people I've met who have one indicate they are very accurate. And, they have the same adjustable trigger that was on the Mark X. This one was adjustable down to a nice crisp 2 pounds 6 oz - not bench rest quality, but decent on a sporting rifle intended for field use.

Charles Daly imported them for awhile as the Mini Mauser, then Remington imported them from 2006-2008 as the Remington 799, but with a flush 3 round magazine rather than the 5 round extended magazine.

The major difference on these is that the wood looks like it was finished by Rossi using the same shoe polish like finish they are so fond of. When I saw that, I just had to buy it as it's the perfect fusion of my Mauser and Rossi passions, and I just love a good project rifle.

I had to order Remington 799 mount for it from Leupold as no one stocks them locally from Leupold, Weaver or Warne. While I was waiting I loaded up some preliminary loads for it and put the first two coats of Tru-oil on it, before bedding it this afternoon. Now that the mount is here, it's wearing a VX-2 3-9x40mm and it's ready to stretch its legs at the range.

The stock is a lot darker now after two coats and is starting to look nice as the pores fill, with the grain starting to show in the wood. It should look nice with about 6-8 more coats on it.

Last edited by Model 52 on 18 Oct 2013 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Zastava Mini Mauser in .22 Hornet

Post by Ranch Dog »

Whoo... very nice looking and in a great cartridge to boot!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Zastava Mini Mauser in .22 Hornet

Post by akuser47 »

I have seen tru oil refinishes on the zatavas and it as awesome.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Zastava Mini Mauser in .22 Hornet (now with range report

Post by Model 52 »

Set up and initial zero:

I woke up to pouring rain at home but it looked brighter toward the range so I loaded up and drove over to look. Sure enough 13 miles away it was only partly cloudy, with more or less calm winds and a perfect overcast for the chronograph sans sky screens.

I set up A-23/5 targets at 100 yards and shot 2 groups per target, 5 shots in each group, adjusting the scope to shoot high and right for the first group, and then adjusting the scope down 3 minutes and left 3 minutes for the second group. All rounds were shot over a chronograph.

I zeroed using 6 rounds, two three shot groups, of Hornady 35 gr V-Max factory ammo, one group at 50 yards and another at 100 to zero, then shot a five shot group with it to get a baseline measure for accuracy. That group was 1.098" - just under 1 MOA. The Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 I have mounted on it is also new, so I used this as a chance to gauge the accuracy and consistency of the adjustments, and it performs flawlessly like the other VX-2 scopes I have. The newer VX-2 is the old VX-III in terms of both optics and adjustments and currently, they are in my opinion one of the best bangs for the buck available as they have excellent optics, and very convenient low profile finger adjustable turrets with very repeatable adjustments with no discernible back lash.

The scope is held in place with a one piece Leupold base (#64005, for the Remington 799) and medium rings. Low rings would probably work with a 40mm objective, but the height is right for me and my face with the fairly high comb on the rifle. The bases are odd in that they only use one of the available screw holes fore and aft, which gives you pause. But it's not a heavy recoiling load. Weaver 71A and 21 bases can be used and they will utilize both holes fore and aft so you have a choice.

I stayed with the Leupold base as I like to be able to adjust the scope for windage on the base. I mechanically centered the base and the scope and then needed only a few OA to bore sight it, and the bore sighting was only a couple MOA off, so the barrel, action, holes and bases are all well aligned with one another - always an encouraging sign.

The benchmark for load comparison:

I fired two more groups with Hornady 35 gr V-Max factory loads at the end of the day as well, and those two final groups were 0.737" and 0.752" groups, for a 15 round three group average of 0.862". A fairly decent benchmark to beat with a sporter weight rifle. And encouragingly, the accuracy appeared to improve over the course of the day.

On to the hand loads:

The second five shot group of hand loads tested was the best group of the day.
.22 Hornet Win case Hornady 40 V-MAX Hodgon Lil Gun 12.0gr CCI 400 1.810 OAL

It measured 0.420" center to center. The average for that load however was 0.739" however, so over all it was only an average load, with this right hand tail group helping the average. Still... :D

Back in the real world, most of the 40 gr V-max groups looked like this with 2 or 3 holes touching and a couple fliers opening it up a bit:

Numbers wise, I fired a total of 105 rounds with 40 gr V-Max bullets using Lil Gun,W-296 and 2400 powder. The average of all loads with all powders using this bullet was 1.089" - again just under 1 MOA.

The largest group with the 40 gr V-Max was 1.601" with the average for that load being 1.567". So even the worst load with the 40 Gr.V-Max was still under 1.5 MOA.

The best load overall, with an average group size of 0.668" was:
.22 Hornet Win case Hornady 40 V-MAX Hodgon Lil Gun 13.2 CCI 400 1.810 OAL

That's an average of .637 MOA.

Of the three powders used, Lil Gun was the clear winner, with no pressure signs, nice rounded primer cups, and reasonable standard deviations in velocity ranging from 12 to 30 fps and the best groups overall and on average.

296 turned in groups averaging around 1.2" so, not bad, but not on par with the Lil Gun groups with this bullet, and the primers in all the loads used were starting to lose the round shoulder in the cup. Not really flattened, but getting close.

2400 demonstrated a couple good groups (1.011 and 1.029) but the average was 1.227", and worse the SD's were high (35 to 45 fps) with the primers also starting to lose the round shoulder in the upper loads.

I had some Remington 45 gr HPs which some people have reported shooting very well in their .22 Hornets (which struck me as odd as their bullets are normally pretty crappy). So it was not much of a surprise when they did not shoot very well in mine. Everything that was marginal with the 40 gr V-Max got just plain bad with the Remington bullets. I only fired 35 rounds as I saw very high SDs (121-216 fps) in the initial 5 shot groups with each load, and flattened primers on the high velocity rounds.

Lil Gun normally works great with heavier bullets in the Hornet, but not with the Remington 45 gr HPs. Accuracy went from ok (1.382") to bad (2.896) the worst group of the day.

2400 did well in terms of standard deviation (15-20 fps), but accuracy averaged 2.003" and it was slightly flattening primers with all the loads tested, so testing was again truncated.

I still have 400 or so Remington bullets to shoot up, so I may try to find some load data for 296 and try it as well.

The food news is that even with really bad loads and bullets it did not like, accuracy still average 2.035" - or just under 2 MOA.

The performance of the rifle itself:

Even more interesting is that when I compare first group versus second group accuracy, with no cool down between groups, the first group average for all the 40 gr V-max loads was 1.227" while the second group average for all the 40 gr V-Max loads was 0.952", so it actually does a bit better with a warm barrel.

That's encouraging as one of the things I liked about my old Zastava made Interarms Mark X in .243 was that the barrel did not walk as it heated up. Zastava, like most major European gun makers, hammer forges their barrels. While that produces a very hard and durable inner surface (it gets work hardened as it is hammered against the mandrel) that is also very smooth with no need to lap, it is a process that induces a huge amount of stress in the metal so very thorough and proper stress relieving is vital. If they don't get it right, the point of impact will walk all over the place as it warms up. Zastava has not lost it's touch as the barrel is very temperature stable, despite it's sporter weight.

The trigger is adjustable and I was able to reduce it to 2 lbs 6 oz. Any thing lower will require some work on the springs. It's a little gritty at the start of the pull, but breaks cleanly and it was overall very predictable - almost like a two stage trigger - take up slack until the grit stops and it's ready to go with a hair more pressure. I may or may not mess with it later, but I'll probably shoot it awhile and see how it comes long with use.

The action is smooth and will probably get smoother after another couple hundred rounds, extraction is positive and it ejects them nicely onto the bench at 2 o'clock.

The only significant issue was the magazine which fell out under recoil after the first round. The magazine release is pressed forward when the button for what is the floor plate released on the non rimmed versions of the mini mauser is pressed, and it was obvious when troubleshooting the problem that the catch needs a bit more engagement. That will be easy to accomplish by removing a bit of metal from the back of the arm where it engages the release button. In the interim, 3 layers of masking tape to the lower front edge of the magazine prevented any forward movement and resolved the immediate problem.

I bedded the recoil lug are in the stock as the rear face is small, and the rounded cuts on each side of the recess for the lug in the stock further reduce the surface area to the rear of the lug. I also bedded the metal pillars in place to keep them from falling out and to fix them in position, and used a small amount of bedding compound on each end of them to ensure full contact in those areas. Sort of a cheap and easy method of pillar bedding with no great effort or undue heroics. But the point here is that I did it while waiting for the scope mounts to arrive and never shot it without the bedding, so I can't speak to what if any difference it made in accuracy.

I'm in the market for a new magazine and the LGS has call into Century to try to find one. I don't really care about having an extra loaded mag for field reasons, but like any magazine fed rifle, if you lose the mag, you'll be stuck with a hard to load single shot.

The finish on the stock would look at home on a Rossi as it has that incredibly flat and lifeless shoe polish look to it. But like the Rossi, the original finish takes Tru-oil very well and appears to make a nice stain to start building a finish on. With just 2 coats of Tru-Oil applied it started to show some life and some straight but interesting grain. Coat number 3 is drying as I type and it'll get coat 4 before I go to bed.

Overall impression:

I debated a bit between a Zastava Model 85 Mini Mauser and the Mauser based CZ-527 Micro. The CZ comes with a nicely finished stock and a reputation for great accuracy, but at a price tag in the $730 range locally, compared to a bit under $500 for the Zastava. My major objection to the CZ-570 is the rather large and unsightly magazine well built into the trigger guard and floor plate. If I went that direction I'd have went with the CZ 527 M1, with the flush 3 round magazine. The Remington 799 version of the Zastava used the same flush magazine approach with the same 3 round capacity. So all in all, the Zastava offered a nice compromise - 5 rounds with a less offensive magazine arrangement.

My other concern was accuracy with the Zastava Model 85, as people mostly rave about the CZ-527, but there is relatively little discussion of the Zastava Mini Mausers regardless of the particular label they were sold under. However, given the results of today's shooting, it appears likely that the Mini Mauser is as under rated and under appreciated as it's Mark X big brother. The only real down side seems to be sporadic availability of spare magazines for it. Still, I'll probably be in the market for one in .223 before too long.
Last edited by Model 52 on 19 Oct 2013 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: (Range Report) Zastava Mini Mauser in .22 Hornet

Post by akuser47 »

good to hear I love that I'm assuming .50 cal. pen you have nice holds the paper down and serves another purpose of recording your results. thanks for the report if these ever hit their msrp I want one in 7.62x39
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
Zastava does make a fine Mauser. A mini in caliber 7.62x39 is on my list of future purchases.
My "still most accurate" 30-06 is an Interarms Mauser . That rifle shoots 125's up to 220 grainers into little clusters with little effort finding a good load. It is one of those that will never leave my ownership and will go to one of my sons.
Down here in Peru have a caliber 308 Zastava that also shoots nicely. Any milsurp ammo shoots into nice clusters at 100 yards. I pull those FMJs and insert whatever 150 grain soft point I found on sale last time up north there. Those "hunters" will group into cloverleafs. Rifle came with a "set trigger" that is sweet to use. Reminds me it has been a while since I went out and popped some rocks.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

akuser47 wrote:good to hear I love that I'm assuming .50 cal. pen you have nice holds the paper down and serves another purpose of recording your results. thanks for the report if these ever hit their msrp I want one in 7.62x39
Yes, the .50 BMG pen is a multi-purpose tool and it makes a great paper weight when I forget to bring my clipboard. A local artist makes them and they are nicely done. Mine needs polishing again... which is the major downside.