30-30 Remington

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Chris

30-30 Remington

Post by Chris »

I have a Remington model 8 in 30-30 rem. Does anyone load for it here?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: 30-30 Remington

Post by pricedo »

Chris wrote:I have a Remington model 8 in 30-30 rem. Does anyone load for it here?
You must mean 30 Remington which is part of the mostly defunct 25, 30, 32, 35 Remington rimless series of which the 35 Remington is the only swimmer still treading water with a small but fiercely loyal following.
The unbeatable Winchester 94/30-30 tag team wiped the floor with the above and most all other competition.
The Remy line-up never really had a chance for survival.
I still see a lot of Marlin 336s in 35 Rem in PA where they are relatively popular
That model 8 is a real treasure and will still put em (the bucks) down...how about a pic??
30 Rem cases must be able to be jury rigged from other similar cases like the 30-30 Win.
I've heard of some milling off the 30-30 Win rim and the result working after fire forming but I have no working knowledge of the 30 Remington cartridge or any of the guns that were designed to fire it.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I see a company called Buffalo Arms offering the 30 Remington (aka "30-30 Remington") @ $29.40 a box @ 20 ctgs.
The ammo is apparently loaded using 170 grain Core-Lokt bullets and the cases are properly head stamped. :mrgreen:
The 30 Remington is dimensionally different (not interchangeable) but ballistically equal to the 30-30 Winchester.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Chris

Post by Chris »

Thanks for the reply Mr. Blocker (RIP)!!

I am getting a new camera, and I am quite the shutterbug. I will post some pics of some of my old gals!

I have an 81 in 300 Savage and an 8 in 30Rem. They are fine guns, and made from STEEL! Feels like solid steel or maybe brass :lol: . They do weigh less than some of the Mil sporters I have packed trailside though.

I am a fan of the model 1894 to be sure. I am unfortunate enough to NOT have one at present. I would like to acquire one if I could ever find one these days that was made prior to the chrome plating post 64 guns. I just about broke down and bought one in 356 some time ago that was new in the box pre safety. But the man wanted more for it than my old truck is worth. I could not justify it. I had one of those that was pre safety and I just never did warm up to the huge safety pock mark, and I traded it off. Probably should have not done that I guess.

I will get some pictures going in the next month.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Chris wrote:Thanks for the reply Mr. Blocker (RIP)!!

I am getting a new camera, and I am quite the shutterbug. I will post some pics of some of my old gals!

I have an 81 in 300 Savage and an 8 in 30Rem. They are fine guns, and made from STEEL! Feels like solid steel or maybe brass :lol: . They do weigh less than some of the Mil sporters I have packed trailside though.

I am a fan of the model 1894 to be sure. I am unfortunate enough to NOT have one at present. I would like to acquire one if I could ever find one these days that was made prior to the chrome plating post 64 guns. I just about broke down and bought one in 356 some time ago that was new in the box pre safety. But the man wanted more for it than my old truck is worth. I could not justify it. I had one of those that was pre safety and I just never did warm up to the huge safety pock mark, and I traded it off. Probably should have not done that I guess.

I will get some pictures going in the next month.
I have 2 x pre-64 94s and a post 64 made in the old New Haven factory.
You can see the difference in quality when you compare them "side by each".
One was made in 1949........my birth year.
The post 64 was made in 1973 before Winchester further insulted their customers by adding unwanted safety junk while the level of workmanship evident in the new guns dropped like a lead bowling ball. :twisted:
Winchester (like GM) in the long term paid the price of arrogance and treating customers like pre-schoolers instead of adults.......the post 64 decline never abated until 2006 when the New Haven factory closed its doors. Meaningful manufacturer-customer dialogue had ceased long before that.
It disheartens me to see Rossi making some of the same mistakes and taking their customer base for granted. :cry:
It is my observation that there is a definite difference (declining quality) between the pre & post Braztech guns.
Give customers what they want or they'll get it somewhere else.........the "we'll decide what they get" attitude is a slippery slope to chapter 11. Even post Remington Marlin has pulled up its socks.......the new guns are a lot better than the ones coming off the Ilion, NY assembly lines 2 years ago (based on eyeball rather than anecdotal evidence)........it was either improve or go under.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA