Case Hardened Receiver Care

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
brandnew92

Case Hardened Receiver Care

Post by brandnew92 »

I just purchased an M92 with case hardened receiver.
I've never had a case hardened gun before.
Is there anything special I need to do, or not do, to take care of the case hardened finish? Solvents or lubricants to use, or stay away from? Or do I simply treat it as I do my blued rifles?
Thanks,
Tim
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Case Hardened Receiver Care

Post by Model 52 »

Depending on the level of polish before it was color case hardened brass may tend to leave marks on it more than with with a blued receiver, so when loading take a bit more care to ensure the rim does not rub on the side of the receiver.

Otherwise, they do well with the same care you'd give a blued receiver.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Concerning cleaners and solvents, dont use Flitz cleaner on case hardened parts. I learned the hard way. I had a TC Renegade with a case hardened finish. Flitz will not hurt factory bluing and I had been using it for some time on other guns. When I put the Flitz on the Renegade lock it took the finish off almost instantly. Apparently the TC rifle just had some kind of chemical finish on it as I dont think the Flitz would harm real case colors. I might be wrong about that.

I have heard that most of the case colors today are just a chemical finish for looks only. Can anyone confirm this?
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

I clean mine with either Gun Scrubber or Winchester Power Blaster followed by Hoppes #9 for the barrel. I use tetra grease on the slide and CLP. My finish has held up perfectly even shooting black powder through it though I clean it with something other than Gun Scrubber and Hoppes after shooting it. Periodically I will take off the stock and clean the inside using gun scrubber the apply some lithium grease.
Joe
Model 52
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Model 52 »

ironhead7544 wrote:I have heard that most of the case colors today are just a chemical finish for looks only. Can anyone confirm this?
I drilled and tapped the tang on an angle eject (post 1982) Winchester Model 94 Trapper and the bit cut just like you'd expect with a color case hardened receiver.