R92 sight options

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!

R92 sight options

Post by 0369 »

I want a peep sight for my 92, but being cheap with a lathe and mill I'm making attempts at my own. My first was similar to Steve'sGunz, which turned out good, but I'd rether have elevation and windage. My second attempt was an idea from the Big Horn Armory site with the Marbles type, WGRS style sight on the bolt which also failed. The ramp and dove tails turned out great but using the plug I made for the first one to mount it yielded a hammer obstruction to get the elevation low enough. At least I can adapt it to another rifle in the future so all is not lost.
I have one more idea to try before I order a Lyman 66A or Williams FP so if it works I'll post pictures. I'm having way too much fun even without shooting it evvery day. :P
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: R92 sight options

Post by Rooster59 »

You might take a look at XS Sights website. I've seen a photo of one of theirs that straddles the bolt on a 92. You will probably need a taller front sight. But that shouldn't be tough with your equipment.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post by 0369 »

Jeff, I just ordered a Williams FP with the target knobs. I'll use my time on other projects instead of reinventing the wheel.
Jeff H
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Jeff H »

Not as creative as making one from scratch, but a cheap option at $22 for a new, old stock Williams FP for a Remington 740 which worked well with a bit of fitting.
After flattening the back of the base, the beam was 1/16" off center to the right so I made a base shim but never ordered longer screws so I could use it. There is so much windage adjustment it's not necessary and it's almost impossible to tell the beam does not sit perfectly centered.
D/T'ing the Rossi reciever turned out to be one of the easier ones I've done with its flst sides.

The brass bead was off center from the factory so I removed it, filed a square notch and soldered in a brass insert for a crisp, square post.
As you can see, my high-class "Sharpie" bluing is not very durable but you can't see the sides from behind anyway.

Some of you are familiar with the amount of work I had t odo on my 92 and the sight was no different. What luck! It was NEW but one locking screw was unthreaded and the aperature carrier adjustment screw holes were misaligned and wouldn't let the aperature carrier move right of center. Since it was old I didn't even ask Williams for help - just ordered a couple screws and worked it all out. I've expended all my rotten luck on one gun. The next four guns I buy should come out of he box perfect! :D
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

Great job with a unique solution.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver

Post by 0369 »

Jeff H, that sight looks good on there. I had to do the same thing on an old Mossberg 22 since it didn't have a sight and all I had was the wrong one. I sure like having the machines, but my ideas usually surpass my machining skills. I'll still end up making a front sight if I need a taller one for the FP. At one point I thought of watching ebay for parts and making my own base, but decided to just order a sight and keep working on my other projects.

Post by 0369 »

My Williams FP came today and I'll never order another one. The machining is poor and the white paint was smeared all over. It's not bad enough to send it back, just bad enough to make my own or search for an old Redfield or steel Lyman if I ever need another. Now it's time to disassemble for drilling and tapping.
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

That sounds out of the norm for Williams. Everything I've received from them is flawless. Call their toll-free number and have them swap out a good one.

Jeff

Post by 0369 »

It's not bad, just not worth what I was charged. The dovetail in the base has a distinct bow in the bottom and the ends look like the tooling was dull. The aperature has chatter marks around the hole etc. Just not what I'd expect for the price. I'll be making a few aperatures to see which one will suit me best and to have better quality. I'm spoiled by older Redfields, Lymans and a RPA.

Post by 0369 »

Well, mounted with a token action slicking job as long as it was apart. Test fire on Saturday as long as everything goes right.