Best way to smooth the chamber edge on M92

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Best way to smooth the chamber edge on M92

Post by Arktikos »

My new M92 454's action is smoothing up very nicely, actually it was pretty good right out of the box. I have been feeding a couple dummy 45 Colt rounds through it over and over and they are improving quite a bit but still are having a little trouble getting into the chamber unless you work the lever fast then right in they go. The cases are getting pretty scratched up from doing this maybe 50 times now and I believe it is the sharp edge of the chamber that is doing this. I can't see any burr there but was thinking there was an easy way to slightly polish that edge just to give a little more relief for the brass to slide past on. With a Marlin it is an easy thing to remove the bolt and get at the chamber but the Rossi is a different animal. My thought was to get a piece of cloth tied to a cleaning rod with some polishing compound and use a drill to polish the edge just slightly but looking for better ideas from those who have been doing this for a while.
Thanks
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Trailboss
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Best way to smooth the chamber edge on M92

Post by Trailboss »

Arktikos,

This is what I've used for mine. It's an aluminum scribe from General Tool.

http://www.specialized.net/Specialized/ ... r-446.aspx

Remove the carbide scribe and insert 1/8" dremel tools and then use a cordless drill to spin it. I break my Rossi M92's down, remove the bolt and the extended tools can now be inserted from the hammer opening. Works quite well actually.

tb
Aim small, miss small.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Some guys just work the lever of a levergun til it smoothes out.
I can't see that operating an action full of dirt, rust & metal grindings as being good for the gun.
At the very least the gun should be stripped apart & cleaned.
Once you have the receiver stripped and the internal surfaces and parts cleaned the burrs are quite conspicuous so why not remove & polish.
My uncle (RIP) had a Winny 94 that is older than I am and NEVER took it apart or checked the sights but a buck deer appeared unfailingly on the overhanging branch of the big birch tree outside his cabin without fail for as many years as I can remember.
It made me cry to see that rust pitted old gun abused like that.
It's a testament to the quality of the < 1964 Winnies that the gun didn't fall apart or blow up in his face over the 4 decades that he TORTURED it.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:The cases are getting pretty scratched up from doing this maybe 50 times now and I believe it is the sharp edge of the chamber that is doing this. I can't see any burr there but was thinking there was an easy way to slightly polish that edge just to give a little more relief for the brass to slide past on.
I would think the best idea is to leave it until you get back from your vacation. I would be very hesitant to relieve the chamber any. The 454 Casull is such a high pressure cartridge it needs to be fully supported.

Your issue is similar to what I am experiencing (experienced) with my new 454 Casull, both should be a very similar production period. My rifle was cycling 45 Colt cartridges well with my TLC454-290-RF sized at .452" but would not cycle a 454 cartridge with the same bullet at the 454 Casull's max OAL. I've been reshaping the cartridge guides to accommodate the longer cartridge. This work should be taken very slow and I have yet to finish but will be when you return. Here is a rifle with the 454 cartridge as it started, no way for the it move up through the guide, the shape is wrong.
gs10.jpg
What I have done is slowly filed the cutouts in the guides further back. I had to stop this work to deal with an oversized carrier that was hanging up inside the receiver but with that done I'm back on the guides. Unfortunately, I don't have a current picture of the guides at this time that show how they fit the cartridge properly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Thanks for the heads up and reality check. I wasn't born with an overabundance of patience and pricedo is right, I need to disassemble this gun and do a proper cleaning first.

Ranch dog, will be very interested in hearing about what you are doing to fix this glitch in your 454. Mine it would seem is going to need it as well just by looking at what a 45 colt dummy round with a COL of about 1.65 or so (see pic). It would seem anything much longer simply wont go without removing some metal.
williamc

Post by williamc »

Arktikos wrote:The cases are getting pretty scratched up from doing this maybe 50 times now and I believe it is the sharp edge of the chamber that is doing this. I can't see any burr there but was thinking there was an easy way to slightly polish that edge just to give a little more relief for the brass to slide past on.
I have similar patterns on the dummy rounds I've been cycling thru my new .44 mag 92. I've been loading an used piece of brass in the chamber and dummy rounds in the magazine. After dozens of cycles the empty brass is still scratch-free, and the dummy rounds are chewed up.

I figured out that the burrs are on the loading gate (specifically the receiver side) and they're getting scratched while loading into the tube. I'm going to break down my 92 this weekend and smooth the edges of the loading gate and opening and see if that makes an improvement.

William
Rossi 92 - 16" Stainless .44 Magnum
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Cartridges with SAAMI max pressures over 60K psi & sloppy chambers do not go together.
Chamber tolerances need to be snug or you've got yourself a wet stick of dynamite.
I'd be careful reaming the chamber of a gun chambered in 454 Casull. :shock:
Polish YES........ream NO !
Scratched cases is preferable to having part of a receiver removed from your head by a mortician. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:Ranch dog, will be very interested in hearing about what you are doing to fix this glitch in your 454. Mine it would seem is going to need it as well just by looking at what a 45 colt dummy round with a COL of about 1.65 or so (see pic). It would seem anything much longer simply wont go without removing some metal.
Mine out of the box would load a 45 Colt cartridge at 1.65" with my WFN bullet but not at the 1.75" of the 454. I did some measuring and 1.80" puts my bullet .005" off rifling contact so that is my objective. I had it feeding that when I left for work but I want to tweak the guides a bit. Yes, it still will chamber and feed a 45 Colt at 1.59" as well. That didn't change.

I must have taken this rifle apart 50 times now because I do a very fine amount of work, put it back together, take it apart, so on. I durn sure will never need reference material to bust these guns down or put them back together. I am the master of getting the bolt back in place in less than 30 seconds as well as the trigger screw in the same amount of time so that alone has make it worth the work. I feel like a real 92 mechanic now, my dad watched me and was quite impressed :!:
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:
Arktikos wrote:Ranch dog, will be very interested in hearing about what you are doing to fix this glitch in your 454. Mine it would seem is going to need it as well just by looking at what a 45 colt dummy round with a COL of about 1.65 or so (see pic). It would seem anything much longer simply wont go without removing some metal.
Mine out of the box would load a 45 Colt cartridge at 1.65" with my WFN bullet but not at the 1.75" of the 454. I did some measuring and 1.80" puts my bullet .005" off rifling contact so that is my objective. I had it feeding that when I left for work but I want to tweak the guides a bit. Yes, it still will chamber and feed a 45 Colt at 1.59" as well. That didn't change.

I must have taken this rifle apart 50 times now because I do a very fine amount of work, put it back together, take it apart, so on. I durn sure will never need reference material to bust these guns down or put them back together. I am the master of getting the bolt back in place in less than 30 seconds as well as the trigger screw in the same amount of time so that alone has make it worth the work. I feel like a real 92 mechanic now, my dad watched me and was quite impressed :!:
Im taking your advice and waiting to see how doable this job will be for me to tackle on my own. I may decide to just send it off to Rossi or perhaps Davidson's to get it fixed before I wreck something and void the warranty but I am hopeful that after seeing yours fixed that I will be confident enough to fix it myself. Need this gun to feed 454 Casull ammo but i really don't want to send this one back.!

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

I recently did a Steve's action job on my 44 Mag 92. I had 20 dummy rounds loaded with the generic 200 gr RNFP cowboy bullet. I had noticed the loading port in the receiver was burred up along with the rest of the receiver. Bunch of cuts on my hands to show for it. I polished the port best I could and loading was much improved. I ran the dummies through with no problem until I hit the fourth time. Then started to have some slight hangups. The bullets look like they are being cut by a sharp edge at the top of the chamber. Quite a few lead shavings in the front carrier area. Working the action briskly cures the feed problem but with new rounds they feed perfectly the first time, even very slowly. I'm going to try a slight chamfer and polish to see if that cures it. It will be very slight. Just some rounding and polish.
Will report on my findings.