Taurus Tang Sight

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Taurus Tang Sight

Post by ironhead7544 »

Was thinking about a tang sight so did a little research. Found that the Taurus Tang sight would fit but needed different screws.

I remembered there was one for the 22 pump M62 on a gun shop shelf nearby, had been there a number of years. Went and picked it up. Ordered screws from Brownells.

The sight looks like the Marbles but I think the locking position is different. The Taurus has just a little nub to lock the sight against a section of coil spring. Looks like it may wear out pretty fast. I think it could be repaired by cutting a slot the whole way on the stem with a small file. Dont know why they made it that way. Pictures of the Marbles show a locking piece all the way across the bottom.

The elevation has a detent and stops but the windage is just friction. Either that or the detent is stuck.

I will report more after installing it and shooting it. If it works OK it will be well worth the money.
scottz

Re: Taurus Tang Sight

Post by scottz »

Did you mount the Taurus sight to a carbine and drill the second hole, or did you mount it to a rifle with the pre-drilled holes? Just wondering if it matches up to the 2 screws on my rifle.

Never mind, just found info on another forum. It does match the 2 screws on the rifle version.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Yes mine is drilled. It is the short rifle with octagon barrel. The sight really looks good on it.
scottz

Post by scottz »

Can't order the part from Taurus without a serial number, not sure if they will sell it for a 92. I'm on a business trip and the wife tried to order me one.

Good news, I called Taurus, was on hold for 30 minutes (was actually surprised they had anyone there this time of day) and explained to the woman that wasn't ordering it for a Taurus M62, that I wanted to put it on a Rossi and I didn't have the serial number available. She went ahead and placed the order for me. Bad news, it's on back order and will probably ship mid February.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Update: Received the screws from Brownells. Installed the sight with no problems. Can see the stock sights clearly through the eyepiece.

Wont be able to get to the range until next weekend. Will report more then.
Sosoomi

Post by Sosoomi »

Why did you go with the Taurus rather than the Marbles? The open sights on my RG3030SS suck but with the rail I just added a Red dot.... Don't see that happening with my R92 in 16" SS barrel so I am interested in what does work.
scottz

Post by scottz »

For myself, Taurus is $34, Marbles is about $100 more.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

It was price for me also. The Marbles at Brownells is $126.00 plus $9.00 for the screws plus shipping. I have $40.00 in the Taurus sight. The Marbles sight is a better design but if the Taurus holds up it will be worth it.
scottz

Post by scottz »

Well heck. Called Taurus today to get order update - no record of my order in their system. Had to place it all over again. I thought the CS guy might refuse it when I told him it was for a Rossi 92. He said he just wanted to be sure I knew they wouldn't warranty the part if it wasn't for the gun listed. Of course, they're out of stock, hopefully more will be in by the end of the month.

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Tapatalk HD
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

scottz wrote:Of course, they're out of stock, hopefully more will be in by the end of the month.
Back ordered parts appear on the 10th of each month and reach you about the 17th.
Michael