Rossi Scope Bases, Clean Them Up!

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rossi Scope Bases, Clean Them Up!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Rossi does something really funny with their scope bases, they paint the aluminum stock. I cannot think of anyone else that does this and manufacturer's of bases ought to think this is really out there. Normally the base is anodized to harden and color the stock. What I've found on my Circuit Judges, R92s, Rio Grandes, and Wizards is that the layer of paint between the gun metal and aluminum will wear and fail. What you will eventually notice with enough shooting is a shift in Point of Impact (POI). If you are like me, the base screws where set with Loctite, and they remain set in place. In fact, you are going to need to set a screwdriver against the slotted screw head and tap that screwdriver with a hammer to break the bond so that you can retighten the base to the receiver or barrel.

What I have started to do is clean the paint off the bottom of the scope base prior to installation. I use a combination of MEK on a rag, sandpaper, and a razor blade. In this photo, you can see how thick the paint is applied.

This is how I have started cleaning them up to avoid the described issue.

Also notice that on this R92 base, like every R92 base that I have worked with, the screw holes are out of round. It is not noticeable until the paint is removed or once the base has been exposed to wear. Something is wrong with how they are accomplishing the work on the radius of the base. This coupled with the paint issue, I discovered, is why my early work with scout bases on the R92 did not meet with success. Under recoil the bases wore quickly.

With the above in mind, I have also found it necessary to continuously check the ring to base tension. The cause and effect between the base and rifle is also at play at this point as the paint in the mating notches wears. There would be no easy way to clean this area up before installation that I have been able to consider.

Pricedo... notice that I've been back at it with the Krazy Glue and also notice that barrel is roll stamped 454 Casull. Oh Lord, another R92 committed to a permanent life as a Ranch Dog Scout Rifle! Hey, cannot take is swamp donkey hunting if I'm worried about that damn Rossi base falling off!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Rossi Scope Bases, Clean Them Up!

Post by akuser47 »

Looks like they just dip them in the paint I think I would give it a naval jelly bath and then repaint it my self.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!