Installing R92 Synthetic Cheek Piece

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Installing R92 Synthetic Cheek Piece

Post by Ranch Dog »

So far, I think I'm about the only die hard "scout" rifle hunter on the forum but I found the R92 a great 200-yard hunting rifle in this configuration, especially in the low light conditions that big game is typically found in. In that all the current production rifles are drilled and taped for a scope base, I though I would add the instructions from adding the synthetic cheek piece, a piece that enhances your sight picture and secures the cheek to butt stock weld at the shot.

I own six R92 and all but one are configured as scout rifles, the loner will depart the ranch sometime in the coming year as the open sighted rifle just does not have the utility in the field as a hunting rifle that the scouts do.

My first two rifles, a 44 Mag and a 45 Colt, were configured with the synthetic cheek piece ("002" rifles). This piece raises your head slightly higher on the comb for proper sighting through a scout scope. Without it, your head has to be raised slightly off the comb, without full contact, it takes a moment longer to acquire the sight picture through the scope and the felt recoil on your cheek is significant.

The later statement was driven home when I acquired the rifle chambered in 480 Ruger as Rossi never intended this chambering end up with the scout scope on it or the cheek piece. I had it drilled and tapped and soon after shooting it started to look for a cheek piece. When I called Rossi, I was told that the rifle would need to be returned and they would install a cheek piece. No way is that acceptable to me. Also, the cheek piece was not listed as a part for the R92. I started to look around on the web and found a base/cheek piece kit for the 92. It seems that Rossi offers them as a set for the R92 outside the US. I bought two from an supply house in Australia; one for the 480 Ruger and another for a 357 Mag.

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a current production 454 Casull. It too was drilled and taped so it immediately received the "scout" treatment. This time, I took a different tack on acquiring a cheek piece. I found a serial number for a single shot being sold on GunBroker and called Rossi. The agent looked up the part without issue and I bought one for $13.43 shipped to my ranch. That is a third of what the last two as kits cost! In that I have now added three cheek pieces to the R92, I thought I would document the work.

The first part of this of course is to acquire the cheek piece from Rossi. As I noted, look up a serial number from a source such as GunBroker and call and order it directly. The part number is: 60891030130. I was told that the piece did not come with the screws but it did. Completely remove the screws with an allen wrench.

Lightly compress the piece onto the comb. The fore/aft positioning is very evident and easy to establish. With it compressed, I mark each screw hole with a 1/8". Rossi's instruction call for the screws to be left in and to lightly tap them with a hammer. From experience, I would not use their method to establish the holes.

In that you will be drilling into the comb of the stock, level it in a vise.

Extend a pencil line down the center line of the comb of the stock. It is easy to establish the line from the screw in the butt plate to the screw that attaches the butt stock. The 454 has the recoil pad so I just measured the width of the butt stock to find the reference.

Deepen the dimples in the wood with the 1/8" punch. This will keep your drill bit from slipping on the radius of the comb.

The instructions called for drilling a 1/8" hole. What I suggest is drilling first a 7/64" hole .8" deep followed by a 5/32" hole on top of the first .4" deep. I simply mark the drill bit with a Sharpie pen and hold is square to the stock. Drive the bit at slow speed. The two "stage" hole will make the screws much easier to put in and prevent splintering the wood at the top of the hole.

Tighten it down and you are ready to go! The holes into the comb are very small and would be easy to fill back in and return the butt stock to the original configuration if needed.

Some might question scoping a R92. For me after using the rifles on 53 of the 67 feral hogs I have killed this year, it makes makes perfect sense and I've come to really appreciate the R92 as a hunting rifle. I've shot those hogs from 3 yards out to 193 yards most in light conditions that would have made it tough to see the front sight bead with open sights. The cheek piece helps to align your head so that the sight picture through the scope is immediately established and with that positive position against the stock, the felt recoil is considerably less.
Michael
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Installing R92 Synthetic Cheek Piece

Post by Rooster59 »

Great thread RD. I'm getting excited about my one scout setup on a Marlin 336TS 30-30. Not sure I'll do it to my 92, yet. I like variety so one is enough right now. By the way, a local buddy and fellow member of another forum bought one or two of your scopes as you were testing/rejecting them for your scout setup.

My scout setup is pretty low by design. Having been only an iron sight guy until this rifle, I have had a bit of difficulty getting comfortable with my cheek weld. It's OK but not as natural as with low iron sights.

I've reviewed some of the recently available butt stock mounted ammo pouch/cheek piece setups. Since I have no intention to mar the stock on a somewhat obscure Marlin model I wonder if you or anyone else has tried one of these and how they perform.

I'm about 85% ambidextrous. Only a few things can I not do with either hand. Shooting rifles I'm 98% as good left handed as right handed. My only reservation about the pouch/cheek pad is how they might hinder my cheek weld if I switched shoulders to get a shot due to position or obstacle. So far all of them seem to be made for right handers only. Not sure I could get a good cheek weld on the tips of 5 spare 30-30 Speer bullets. :)

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great write up thanks
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I got my cheek-piece and attachment from of all places...... Amazon.com.
My 96 year old aunt could fire the Rossi 92/357 & 92/44 but the 92/454 with heavy loads can give you a healthy slap in the chops that seems to bore right into your cheek bone if you don't hug the stock snugly when firing.
My shooting style is slightly different with heavy recoil rifles........I snug the gun up and don't allow any free travel gaps between the stock & my cheek or shoulder......if I forget I get whacked :shock: ........my own fault.
The fast pistol powders used in the 454 ammo results in a sharp painful jab instead of the heavy push of some of my magnum bolt action rifles on recoil.
The cheek-piece is still sitting in the box it came in.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Turkey Huntsman

Post by Turkey Huntsman »

Nice writeup, Michael, but SIXTY-SEVEN HOGS in a year? !!! You need any help out there? I'm retired and would like nothing more than to have a destination in TX to visit and help fill the freezers.

I used to think we had a few hogs out here in S. CA, but 67???

Yeah, I'm jealous...

-TH
San Diego, CA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

A thick leather cowboy style butt cover is a lot easier to look at and does the same job & gives you a place to put 5 extra emergency rounds for when you loose your ammo supply in an upset canoe or when your rucksack follows your horse down a mountain cliff.
No more "Mike Tyson sucker punch" in the chops after I put the leather cover on my 92/454 and it covers that unsightly recoil pad.
Stick a little layer of foam rubber under the cover if you need more cushion.
Nothing to drill or glue (sorry RD :lol: ) .......you just slip it on the butt stock like a hunting boot and lace it up.
People buy 92s cause they're legacy guns and then put a bunch of stuff on them that destroys the legacy look ........go figure ! :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Turkey Huntsman wrote:I used to think we had a few hogs out here in S. CA, but 67???
Not quite as easy as it seems, it takes a lot of hunting. I have family show up for a weekend of hunting and they will never see a thing. Main problem is that everyone hunts them like they hunt a whitetail. Won't work, you got to get out in the dark and mix it up with them and many individuals are really not willing to do it. I put in a lot of time in every week out there in the absolute dark, mainly listening and getting ahead of them so they have to run into me. I don't have any fancy night vision stuff just the knowledge of the land and where might be a good place to intercept them. I carry a small light but never use it, it is to aid someone finding me if I get hurt. Light and sound discipline is huge.

What daylight shooting I do is mostly taking advantage of opportunity. If I see a small group of piglets out sunning them selves, I drop everything and run to find mom who must be sleeping as she would never let them leave tight brush. If I see one cross a road, I know where it is heading and will run to get ahead of it. That type of thing. I rarely shoot one out of a deer stand. I also listen a lot in the day when working in the pastures. It won't be a hog you hear but the mockingbird, green jay, roadrunner, or squirrel that gives them away. At night it is the gray fox squawking at them.

Oh, I didn't mention the diamondbacks. The trick is to move slow enough that they feel comfortable moving away from you. If you trespass, they will let you know and you must politely yield. I try to stay out of the grass as I know they will be chasing field mice but sometimes that cannot be helped. If the grass is alive with insect sounds, I'm okay with it. If it is quite, I do not cross it as the crickets and frogs have stopped croaking for a reason.

Many moons ago I hosted a annual postal match for leverguns and gave a hog hunt for two as a prize. The guys would come down and hunt morning and evening and not do well. May be one guy would kill a hog but that was about it. Steelbanger of this forum and his son Mike where on the last hunt I hosted. I never took any of the hunters out at night as I just wasn't comfortable with it. There is a young fellow that hunts on my place and has killed a good number of deer especially for his age. He and his dad have spent a huge amount of time in deer blinds on my place and are convinced there are not any hogs here but they are not out there at night.

The past week I've been after a sounder of young boars, all in the 140 to 180 pound range, that has been wrenching havoc in my pasture particularly near my home. The nights have been really dark and they are really slick, I call them the "Hoodlums". I've been on them a couple of times but the shot has just not come. The gray hog that I posted a picture of was part of this sounder. Each night I have been able to get up on a large boar in one of my plots, this fellow is pushing 300# and he is not too concerned about me. I've let him be as I don't think he is doing the rooting. I know he is eating deer food but I'm not too concerned with that.
pricedo wrote:A thick leather cowboy style butt cover is a lot easier to look at and does the same job...
Not in my opinion, I do not care for the leather butt covers. My rifles are stacking critters like wood and that is all I care about.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Not in my opinion, I do not care for the leather butt covers. My rifles are stacking critters like wood and that is all I care about.
My freezers aren't empty either. :mrgreen:

The foam cheek piece vs leather cover is like many things a matter of personal preference......c'est la vie.....I like wood & leather on a gun.

You can have those Diamondbacks all to yourself with my blessing. :shock:
Those things pack a lot of venom.
Oh, I didn't mention the diamondbacks. The trick is to move slow enough that they feel comfortable moving away from you.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:The foam cheek piece vs leather cover is like many things a matter of personal preference......c'est la vie.....I like wood & leather on a gun.
Exactly, my choice is the Rossi piece that was specifically designed to put the eye through a scope mounted 1.5" above the bore while fitting the contour of the comb. You cannot go wrong with that.
pricedo wrote:You can have those Diamondbacks all to yourself with my blessing.
I have a theory about a rattlesnakes behavior in the dark with absolutely nothing to back it up except field observation. All a rattlesnake needs worry about is a caracara during the day and a feral hog or javelina at night. That's it, nothing else is going to mess with them. I think if you move slow like a hog feeding, they move out of your way. Seen more than I've heard up close at night which supports this a bit and of course, I've gotten a lot closer to being bitten during the day.
Michael