RioGrande stock finish

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
jimbtx1

RioGrande stock finish

Post by jimbtx1 »

I used MinWax Paste Finishing Wax right over the factory finish which was dull and showing very little grain...My daughter is a master at distressed furniture and other wood items and I saw her great results on both natural and painted wood...gives a light sheen and dries hard and durable...it is applied like shoe polish with a cloth...let dry 15 minutes and buff lightly with a clean cloth.
The pictures are hard to see the difference...in both, the stock half nearest the top of each picture has been waxed...really made a huge difference effortlessly...the wood grain really jumped out and is now protected from the elements. The waxed portion shows to be slightly more red, but is not, guess the camera flash off the sheen just makes it look that way. The wax I used is "natural" in color...other shades are available.
This is the easiest, best looking way to go by far in my humble opinion.
The pictures may be clearer for you if you right click on a photo and then left click "display image with full quality"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RioGrande stock finish

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice looking!
Michael
doskiez

Post by doskiez »

I have been thinking about a refinish for my rio grand but I may try this first.
Rio Grand .45-70
Many more guns, reloading equipment, etc etc.
jimbtx1

Post by jimbtx1 »

Most things this easy are too good to be true...if I hadn't tried it myself I'd be skeptical, but it works...by the way, if any swirl marks, etc. show up in the hard wax finish after it dries...around 15 minutes or so, just rub a little harder with a cloth and they'll disappear...then it'll cure up hard after a short time more.
This sure beats all the other time consuming options in my opinion...what really convinced me to try it was looking at a table my daughter had used it on...you could set a cold glass of water, etc. on it and it would not leave a water ring mark...a lot of varnishes, etc. won't even repel that...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looking on the web, I see that the product you used has a color labeled "Gunstock" which appears to be one of the walnut shades. Which did you use?
Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
jimbtx1

Post by jimbtx1 »

I used the natural...no color in it...it just put a light sheen and jumped the grain out like I said before...I wasn't wanting to change the color but others might with one of the other shades available...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

jimbtx1 wrote:I used the natural...no color in it...it just put a light sheen and jumped the grain out like I said before...I wasn't wanting to change the color but others might with one of the other shades available...
Thanks!
Michael
jimbtx1

Post by jimbtx1 »

Glad I could help...one other thing, it's cheap too...under $10 for a pint...wally world didn't have it but Lowes does...that pint would last forever before you used it up...you'll swear it's neutral shoe polish when you open the can
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Hope it holds up may try this myself.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!