R92 firing pin removal?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

R92 firing pin removal?

Post by rondog »

So, I want to remove my 92's firing pin for cleaning and polishing, as part of my cleaning/deburring/polishing/lubricating festivities. Just drive out the pin in the bolt that holds it in, right? Should come out easily, right?

I'm having ZERO luck getting that pin out, I've smacked it with far more gusto than I'm comfortable with, to the point my punch is mushrooming. Pin hasn't budged. Tried driving it left to right, and right to left. No joy.

Am I missing something?
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: R92 firing pin removal?

Post by Mad Trapper »

I had the same problem.
When I took my 92 16" 44 mag in for cerakoating,I told the gunsmith to remove and reinstall the firing pin.
I told him I was going left to right and having no luck in driving out the pins.
When I picked up the rossi he said the firing pin came right out, but he had to go right to left.
I told him no way, that everything was left to right, what I learned in Armorer school years ago, unless my memory in failing me.
Gunsmith said the pins were knurled to be driven out right to left.
This is my experience, and my knowledge is very limited.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Could be, but I've been trying both directions. Tried again after posting this thread. Wish I had some Kroil, but I've never seen it for sale anywhere. I'm too cheap to order it and pay hazmat fees too.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Soak it in 50/50 acetone/ATF.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Soak it in 50/50 acetone/ATF.
Hmm, I do have both of those, and I've got the bolt all finished and ready to move to the receiver, so I think I'll try that. Thanks!

Jeeze, that bolt was a poster child for crappy machine work! No way I'd have turned out garbage like that when I was a machinist. ALL the internal parts and inside the receiver are just gross with burrs and sharp edges, I'm afraid to stick my finger in there. Unreal.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

That's what I thought and mine is old. I filed and sanded and mechanically polished before reassembly.

As a machinist you also understand how the pin may be mushroomed and work hardened from previous pounding. After the soak put a very precise WHAMMO on it with a well fit punch and spot on aim. It'll come out.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

rondog wrote:Could be, but I've been trying both directions. Tried again after posting this thread. Wish I had some Kroil, but I've never seen it for sale anywhere. I'm too cheap to order it and pay hazmat fees too.
I've got a can. It ain't all it's been cracked up to be in my experience.
I had a roll pin in an old Coax press that wouldn't come out no matter what I did to them.
Should have been an easy job but turned into a real PITA.
Finally sent it in to let them deal with it.

As for Kroil, it seems a pint of kerosene might have been almost identical.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

GasGuzzler wrote:Soak it in 50/50 acetone/ATF.
Well, that worked, thank you! And yes, right to left! Still took an unusual amount of force though, but at least I can polish the firing pin and deburr its channel.

Things like that keep me awake at night.....