Smoothing Loading Port

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Smoothing Loading Port

Post by Rooster59 »

My stainless Puma 92 has some very sharp edges all around the loading port. I was wondering what kind of tools are recommended for doing that kind of job. I have a set of small, inexpensive files. One each flat, triangle, and round. I've been pretty handy with those shaping front sight blanks, fitting front sights, etc. Also have used super fine (600, 1200) sandpaper for some light action work on a couple Marlins. I just haven't worked with anything that doesn't get a touch of cold blue when finished.

It looks to me like I'd use the small flat file on the straight edges and maybe the round file in the curved area in the forward section of the port.

Any suggestions?

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Smoothing Loading Port

Post by pricedo »

I find that narrow or cylindrical fine grained knife sharpening stones do the neatest job of deburring followed by ultra fine grained emery paper for the smoothing & touch-ups.
Re-blue any formerly blued surfaces with a drop or 2 of cold bluing on a rag or the special touch up bluing felt pens. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA