Doing your 'Rossi Stuff'

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Doing your 'Rossi Stuff'

Post by GRV01 »

So im still new here and often read suggestions to do your 'Rossi stuff' out of the box: spray your non chlorinated brake cleaner til it runs clear and relube everything up and work work work that action

Now I didnt do that with my new R92 and it shot just fine out of the box but man on the first cleaning those patches just would not come clean. I used half my stash so im definitely considering it now especially now that im on the hunt for a blued Rio Grande in 410 and those things certainly have a reputation

Heres where i have confusion: relube

What product are you using to relube and how are you doing it?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Doing your 'Rossi Stuff'

Post by zippy »

I use the same as my semi-auto pistol slides, TW25b.

akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Above is fine I also use CLP from Walmart. Another option is clean synthetic motor oil heavier the better 20w50 it coats and protects as well and is super cheap in comparison to gun oil. In tight spots to get the oil on from squeeze bottle or oil quarts use Q-tips soak it and run them were you need it. If needing smaller delivery a tooth pick works inside tight spots dip it in oil and put tip where its needed.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I buy SLIP2000 in bulk and refill the applicator bottle or use a Qtip to apply.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

So where are you applying the relube? Just the action? The elevator? Mag tube before or after the follower?

And for you grease users how often are tou stripping that and regreasing?
No thin chicks
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
That re-lubing and what kind and how often will depend on usage and vicinity.
In Illinois during the hot humid "just plain awful dripping wet" time I look at the metal parts a bit more often. Moisture protection is high priority far more than friction. But the obvious wear points need a little dab for sure. Exterior gets high tech auto wax.
Down here in the high altitude very dry desert of southern Peru the metal on my lever action and revolvers get very little oil and only on places where there is obvious "wear". Volcanic dust makes great abrasive cutting / grinding wheels. Takes the paint off the front edge of car hoods and will rasp metal to glassy smooth. This dust really likes to get mixed with oil and certainly does not help lubricate.

Freezing cold is another factor. 20 below and your firing pin will hardly move through the bolt with most any lube on it. Had a shot at a fox once at 10 paces. Oil in the firing pin channel extended the life expectancy of that quail eater far into the future.

So if I was living in Miami area... light oil on the obvious wear points. Any high tech auto wax on the exterior. If you fall in the river / ocean or rifle gets wet strip it, dry it and oil the wear points and car wax the exterior.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

GRV01 wrote:So where are you applying the relube? Just the action? The elevator? Mag tube before or after the follower?

And for you grease users how often are you stripping that and regreasing?
When I first got the 92, my husband and I took turns cycling the action, with the original packing grease. Probably cycled it 2000-3000 times. When we took it apart, the wear points were obvious, and those got lube.

No oil or lube in the mag tube.

Did that initial clean and lube about 18 months and about 1500 rounds ago. I added a tiny dab of lube to the bolt and lug wear points a few months back, and that's all I've done besides cleaning the bore every time I shoot.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

No rust here and I use clipper oil on sliding parts that have exposure, automotive wheel bearing grease (just a film) on hidden parts.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Thanks all for pointers. Im getting my ranch Hand here in about a week or two and shortly after (if i can find one!) Wifeys 16" 92 so im going to wait til i jave all three to do the Rossi Rundown

Found Remoil for cheap on sale, think thatll work? And how often will i jave to restrip with brake cleaner and relube? Annually? Less?
No thin chicks
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The break cleaner non chlorinated. Is in most cases only after you buy. Or if you end up out n your gun gets covered in dirt n grime. I do mine whenever I think it's getting gritty. Remoil will be fine. Plus I love it's smell. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!