Installing Flash Suppressor

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
LowKey

Installing Flash Suppressor

Post by LowKey »

The barrel of the Ruger Mini-30 Tactical is threaded for an included flash suppressor.

A friend at the range thought that the heat from firing would make medium loctite lock too tight

Hand tight is not enouch to keep the flash suppressor secure, and a bit concerned about overtorquing causing damage to the threads and the barrel.

Thoughts?
GasGuzzler

Re: Installing Flash Suppressor

Post by GasGuzzler »

If it has a conic washer like an AR I'd just torque it to spec dry. More than one way to skin a cat.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

GasGuzzler wrote:If it has a conic washer like an AR I'd just torque it to spec dry. More than one way to skin a cat.
Thanks.

The mini does have a conical washer, but the Ruger manual doesn't provide a torque spec.
How much torque do you use on an AR?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If it has a crush washer like an ar15 does you tighten until flash hider is timed right which is usaully about 180 degrees past hand snug. The washer is designed of softer steel to crush. Thus hold g it together. I'm unaware of any torque specs for them. Maybe somone else knows more +corn .
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't know the spec. I can tell you my AR is approximately 20 ft/lbs. My guess is close as I deal with torque wrenches all the time but I don't know what the spec is.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Sounds about right. Some book I have some where mentioned 20 to 25 ft-lb for the AR-15. The one I did I took it hand tight and then clocked to where I anted it as someone said in an earlier post.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

Wrenched the suppressor on the mini-30 down and it didn't come loose after 25 rounds.

Didn't have a torque wrench.
Didn't use loctite.
After being snugged down hand tight, the suppressor might have rotated 10-15 degrees.

Will advise if it comes loose.