Fit A Polymer Stock?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
BigIron44

Fit A Polymer Stock?

Post by BigIron44 »

I received my Ramline 94 stock today. I already got the forearm fit, it was way easier than trying to get the factory forearm back on. The thing is the tangs are too wide for the inlets in the buttstock. That's a good problem to have compared to the tangs being narrower than the inlets but I've been scraping and filing for a couple hours and I'm not any closer to final assembly. Anybody got any tricks to speed up the process without ruining the stock?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Fit A Polymer Stock?

Post by akuser47 »

I have fit other polymer stocks and used a belt sander table mounted to remove most of the excess untill I get it to the final fitting size. You have to constantly be aware of your specs as you do not want to scrap your buttstock. takes time and that is the tough part for me. post pics once you get it done.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

The answer for me ended up being a rotary tool with a small grinding stone at 1000rpm. That did the job real quick! :mrgreen: I should have been a bit more careful 'cuz I bumped the wrong spot a couple times but I figure I ain't exactly gonna play nice with this thing when it's done anyway so it's alright if it has a blemish or two. I still have to do a little more fitting around the wide portion of the upper tang but hopefully I'll be able to post some pics early next week. The stock isn't a perfect fit but from 3 feet away it looks sharp! 8-)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looking forward to the pictures. With so many of the rifles out, especially stainless rifles, I've never understood why RamLine did not jump on the opportunity.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I agree I would like to have a stainless and add a synthetic to it when I take it to play and put her in her wood when just sitting pretty. LoL I can only hope that someone will time will tell.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

The upper tang on the R92 is too long for the Ramline 94 buttstock, that leaves me with the option of either shortening the tang or lengthening the cut in the stock. Since the hole for the tang bolt is pre-drilled in the Ramline stock the best option is shortening the tang so everything still lines up correctly. The downside is once you've done that a purpose built R92 stock won't fit as well, since there's not many R92 options right now that isn't the end of the world but it's something to think about.

The other point to consider is I've noticed that the Ramline forearm causes the mag tube to sit at an angle to the barrel so it's actually closer at the muzzle than at the receiver. It feeds and functions fine but I don't know what effect this might have on harmonics and accuracy. I think I'll put the factory buttstock back on and take it to the range to try out the synthetic forearm.

Before I cut the upper tang I'm going to try the walnut stock, too.