Misfire - not even a dent on the primer

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Donald

Misfire - not even a dent on the primer

Post by Donald »

In the midst of shooting a number of rounds through my .44 mag Ranch Hand a couple of days ago, I had 2 misfires in a row. After the second one, I took the cartridge out and examined it. To my surprise, I saw no dent at all in the primer from the firing pin. It appears the pin never even made contact.

So I played with the rinky-dinky safety on top of the receiver, turning it to the "safe" position and back to the live a few times, thinking it might be related to that. Tried again and all of the rounds fired okay.

Anyone else experienced something like this?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Misfire - not even a dent on the primer

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't recall light primer strikes being an issue with the 92 long gun or Ranch Hand. I use the safety on my rifles, five of them, and haven't had a similar problem. Might be some debris or dirt in the bolt?
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I think I've read something similar here but my R92 is too old to have been factory fitted with a safety so I can't comment from experience.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Best move if this is something your going to need to rely on or if like me need any gun you own to function 100%. I'd strip it down take it apart you may have metal grindings inside the firing pin channel in the bolt. Best way to be sure. Keep us posted to what you find if you find anything. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!