.445 Super Mag Conversion?

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
BigIron44

.445 Super Mag Conversion?

Post by BigIron44 »

I was just thinking... since the R92 can stand up to the .454 why not ream a .44 Magnum to .445 Super Mag? I don't think the rounds would feed through the action but you should be able to load them singly directly into the chamber and really, how many of those bad boys are you going to want to touch off? :lol:

Is there any reason this wouldn't work? Would it cause problems if I was primarily shooting .44 Magnum and .44 Special? I know you'd have to clean the chamber really good, like when you switch from .38's to .357's.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: .445 Super Mag Conversion?

Post by Ranch Dog »

It is my understanding that the receivers of the 454 Casull and 480 Ruger are treated different in manufacture for the additional pressure. May be someone has more info. Also the magazine tubes are threaded into the receiver on these rifles to avoid the additional beating they receive.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:It is my understanding that the receivers of the 454 Casull and 480 Ruger are treated different in manufacture for the additional pressure. May be someone has more info. Also the magazine tubes are threaded into the receiver on these rifles to avoid the additional beating they receive.
Some say this is true and some say it's a hill of beans but I for one wouldn't be risking my fingers and eyes to find out.
I personally can't see Rossi spending the extra bucks to heat treat anything except perhaps a little promotional hot air.
Definitely not consistent with a company that attaches scope bases with Krazy Glue and finishes and fits their guns with a wrench & vise.
But if you're like me and didn't come with any spare parts...........BE CAREFUL ! :!:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I credit the design genius of John M. Browning and modern metallurgy for the ability of the Rossi 92 to withstand the 60K+ pressure of the 454 Casull cartridge.
Al Rossi had to do was basically follow JMBs recipe.
The double threaded magazine tube with the tube loading slot was indeed ingenious..........a beefed up version of the Marlin model 39A tube design.........kudos to Rossi engineers on this one.
The black powder calibers around in the days of John M. Browning were pretty anemic compared to the 454 Casull and JMB could not have foreseen recoil vicious enough to shear the tube retention pin in his design.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

I really dig JMB's 1892 design, that's for sure. I also appreciate some of the updates Rossi has done, like the coil springs and I've heard the steel is actually harder than the originals, around 20 on the Rockwell C scale but I don't know if that applies to blued or stainless rifles or both. If Rossi can get their castings as nice as Ruger's we'd have one heck of a gun! Maybe the .445 Super Mag is asking too much and the .44 Magnum has plenty of power anyway.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Make no mistake about it Rossi can build a gun that would make Oliver Winchester walk out of his crypt green with envy.
I had a Navy Arms 92 in 44-40 built by Amadeo Rossi that was as fine a firearm for furniture (beautiful matching walnut stock and forearm) and fit/finish and overall quality as I've ever held in my hands.....it was beautiful !
This 92 fed and fired 44-40 cartridges effortlessly and flawlessly unlike the branded Amadeo Rossis of the time.
I think Rossi coined the phrase "you get what you pay for" and added the corollary "you pay for what you get".
The Navy Arms 92 was almost double the price of the generic Amadeo Rossi 92s and double the quality.
If you buy a bargain basement Rossi you get bargain basement quality courtesy of the "Wrench, Vise and Krazy Glue Department".
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

I'd pay more for a nicely done Rossi R92, any idea if they'll do that kind of work for an individual?
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

BigIron44 wrote:I'd pay more for a nicely done Rossi R92, any idea if they'll do that kind of work for an individual?
OR

Go to a Chiappa which are currently sold by LSI as the new Pumas.
You're going to pay almost double the price of a Rossi but the guns are definitely better quality, much prettier and much smoother NIB.
I own a Chiappa 92 in 44 Mag and it was buttermilk smooth and could cycle any ammo I tried in it right out of the box.
The Chiappa Pumas really stand apart from the bargain basement Rossis with the Marble sights.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:The Navy Arms 92 was almost double the price of the generic Amadeo Rossi 92s and double the quality.
Did Rossi actually finish these firearms or did Gibbs (???) or another outfit disassemble them and start over?

All grammar and spelling errors courtesy of my DROIDX and Tapatalk!
Michael
BigIron44

Post by BigIron44 »

I looked at Chiappa and they do have a lot going for them, stainless was important to me though and it doesn't look like Chiappa offers 92's in stainless. They've got the Alaskan but honestly I'm more worried about having a chrome lined bore than anything else plus the octagon barrel adds a lot of weight... my R92's only 5lbs! I've only got 25rds through my Rossi but I do like it, I just want to make it purdier. ;)