Dovetails are looser than loose

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Paraord

Dovetails are looser than loose

Post by Paraord »

Hi all, I cross posted this originally in the 92 section but this would probably be better here.

Alright, so I set the 92 down to drive out the rear and front sights this evening. Drove them out from left to right with a brass punch. No misses or wailing on the gun needed. They were snug enough on the way out.

Then came installing the marbles dovetail blank and the Lyman 17AHB. And those suckers darn near slid through. In fact the blank actually does just keep on trucking. The 17 catches at the very edge when it is nearly falling out the left side.

What do I need to do in order to get these things tight? Or tight enough for the occasional "filling chattering" hi test 44 mag load?

-Andrew
Andrew -M92 44 Mag 20" Oct Barrel with just about every possible problem fixed-Western NY-
Deleted User 2964

Re: Dovetails are looser than loose

Post by Deleted User 2964 »

I just smack the bottom side of sights with a good sharp center punch.
Then file to fit.
Paraord

Post by Paraord »

a few punches on the blank and the Lyman globe and they held up great. Didnt need to wail on them to get them where I wanted, but held strong enough to need a brass punch to move them in or out.

Thanks SixGun
Andrew -M92 44 Mag 20" Oct Barrel with just about every possible problem fixed-Western NY-
Deleted User 2964

Post by Deleted User 2964 »

Glad it worked out.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
Makes me wonder how many times a center punch comes in handy to "simple fix" a slightly loose fitting item.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.