Experimenting with JB Weld

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Experimenting with JB Weld

Post by klr »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Just don't clamp so tight that you squeeze out all the "glue".

Make smoke,
Right. It's nothing like wood glue, and epoxy needs a thin layer. My intention was to maybe help it push in to the fine sanding marks of the factory surface finish.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

"Tooth" - not a bad idea at all :)

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Simmons Gun Repair has a glue they use to put vent ribs on shotguns. Years ago I used it to put a Contender scope base on a .303 Enfield #4 barrel and added a scout scope. It held up just fine for many years.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Personally I would mark the barrel where the mount will go. Then tape it off and lightly sand blast it. Sand blast the bottom of the mount as well. Then clean the parts with carb cleaner as before. When applying the epoxy, pit a thin layer on both pieces. Use a popsicle stick to smear the epoxy into all the pits from the sand blasting. That's how I make my knives. I also add mechanical fasteners to the knife handles, but that doesn't apply here.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

dvw86 wrote:Personally I would mark the barrel where the mount will go. Then tape it off and lightly sand blast it. Sand blast the bottom of the mount as well. Then clean the parts with carb cleaner as before. When applying the epoxy, pit a thin layer on both pieces. Use a popsicle stick to smear the epoxy into all the pits from the sand blasting. That's how I make my knives. I also add mechanical fasteners to the knife handles, but that doesn't apply here.
Thanks, that would be a great method. When I assembled golf clubs I roughed up the shaft with 50 grit sandpaper.

But, what I'm trying to do here is find a level of adhesion on the factory finish that will hold securely yet still allow me to remove the mount without damage if I ever want to sell the rifle. I can roughen up the barrel under the rear sight and then touch up with cold blue and it would not be noticeable. Combine that with a bolt in the dovetail slot and think it will hold.

Ironhead - Any idea what that stuff was called? I couldn't find it on their website.
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

Good info all, thanks for posting.