Experimenting with JB Weld

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Experimenting with JB Weld

Post by klr »

In another thread Ranch Dog mentioned using JB Weld to affix a scout scope mount. I wondered if it could be removed without damaging the original finish on the barrel so I tried a little test. I took a piece of front sight that I removed from an Enfield and JB Welded it to a piece of barrel I cut off my Rossi 243 single shot.

Fast forward 7 days.

I put the barrel piece in a bench vice and then used a pair of vise grip pliers to grab the piece of front sight. My plan was to use a heat gun to heat the parts and then pop the sight piece off with the vise grips. I've re-shafted golf clubs in the past and used a heat gun to soften the epoxy.

So, I clamped the vise grips on the sight and it just popped off cold. I didn't even use the heat. Most of the epoxy stayed on the sight.

I then heated the barrel and used a piece of wood to scrub off the remaining JB Weld that was on the barrel. I used an IR thermometer and it softened at 150 degrees F. I then heated the sight piece and used a screwdriver to scrape off the layer of epoxy. At 350 degrees it was chalky and came off easily.

I used denatured alcohol to prep the parts. I think I'll try acetone and try it again.

Thoughts?

Pictured is right after I popped it apart.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Experimenting with JB Weld

Post by Ranch Dog »

I almost asked last night how the experiment was going. Don't know what to make of the results. Did you prep the surfaces in any way?

As of today, I have 95 rounds through the Savage 340 and it is still good and still zeroed. After reading this, I got bold and went over to the the Savage and start pulling on the scope. I tried pulling on both eye and exit bells. I was pulling hard enough that as my wife walked by she asked me "are you trying to break it." Of course, I said "yes". She just shook her head and kept walking.

As I remember, you are a Win M94 guy. After messing with my dad's 94 to send the stock to Moontree to be duplicated for the 92, I decided to put this rifle back in use. I immediately found a Redfield Jr IER mount with the rear sight. The kit includes the barrel tapping tools. Another scout in the making!
Win_M94_Redfield_Jr_IER_mount.gif
I'm using a similar mount on my Rem 600 and think it is a pretty cool design.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

And where did you find this kit with the mount and barrel tapping tools?
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:And where did you find this kit with the mount and barrel tapping tools?
eBay. New, old stock.
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I prepped the parts by rubbing them clean with alcohol. The sight base was sanded to bare metal first. I read on the JB Weld website that they recommend sanding or filing the parts to give the epoxy something to grab on to. Do you sand your parts first? Are they screwed and glued, or do you just clean the barrel and epoxy the mount on?

Women will never understand. :lol: I don't mind tearing something up if I learn something in the process.

Yes, I'm a M94 guy. I'll have to post that project once it's finished. Right now it has a shortened mag tube that's semi floated, a rearranged recoil lug, and silicone-bedded fore arm. Groups are consistently under 1" @ 55 and I'm working out my final scope arrangement.

Keep us posted on the scope mount. I'm interested to see how the drill and tapping works out.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I tried it again. This time I used carb cleaner to prep the parts. After the carb cleaner dried the barrel was noticeably a lighter shade of blue where I sprayed the cleaner and I could see where the liquid carb cleaner ran off the bottom of the barrel piece.

Fast forward a week and tonight I again used the vise grips and tried to pop off the piece like I did last time. This time I couldn't break it loose. I then took a punch and hammer and tried to break it loose. It help up for a dozen medium hard hits but I finally broke it loose with hard hit right on the seam. It was hard enough that I gouged the barrel. In the pic I put an + near the spot I used the punch. I realize the punch is an extreme test and I think the epoxy would have held the scope mount just fine under normal conditions. If I sand the barrel lightly at the spot the rear sight covers, and use the dovetail slot with a bolt, it should hold.

I'm going to try it again with a little more clamping pressure.

Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Interesting, thanks for the continued reporting.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice test still.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Thanks, guys. I enjoy learning stuff. Right now I've learned that alcohol isn't a good prep for epoxy.

In looking at my sample, the lower end didn't appear to have much of a bond. I didn't use much pressure before when bonding the parts together, so now I'll clamp lightly and try again.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Just don't clamp so tight that you squeeze out all the "glue".

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image