Follow up From Action Job

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
dvw86

Follow up From Action Job

Post by dvw86 »

So yesterday evening I took my Rossi 92 16" SS 44 Mag apart and did an action job on it. It only takes a few hours from start to finish. This was the first time that I have completely torn one down, and I noticed a few things that others may find useful.

If you are following Steve's video and you have a newer Rossi 92 with the bolt mounted safety, then Steve leaves out an important step. He says that you simply remove the firing pin "retaining pin" and the firing pin "falls out". This is not true. You need to first remove the safety mechanism as well. He fails to mention this. Be careful when removing the safety mechanism as the little ball bearing and spring are easy to loose.

Another note about the safety. You can not re-install the hammer with the safety on. The firing pin sticking out the back side of the bolt gets in the way of the hammer and the hammer will not fit through the frame.

I had already done the "hose down" with the brake cleaner and re-lube routine, but I found that I still had some large metal chips in the action. They may have happened after the cleaning though. I saw a lot of chips that were still hanging onto the bolt and frame. Rossi obviously does not deburr their parts after machining. The pieces would have eventually, one by one, broken loose and be a potential jam or galling in the action. It is well worth taking it all apart just for a good cleaning and deburring.

The extractor in Steve's video was much thicker than mine. Perhaps Rossi saw his video and started making them thinner. I don't know. I still thinned mine down as he describes, but I didn't have to take as much off as he did.

Steve's instructions are for getting your rifle "race ready" as he describes it. Mine is for hunting and not competition, so there are two things that I did not do. First is that I did not replace or modify the hammer spring. I'd rather not take the chance of a light primer strike, and it is still much easier to lever than it was when I first got it. The second item I did not do, was to grind down the bottom detent for the lifter. I don't think that it will make that much of a difference and it is a pain to get to.

The "blank" screw on the left hand side of the frame was already loose when I took it apart. I found out later why. When I put that screw back in on re-assembly, I found that the last quarter turn would lock up the bolt solid. This didn't really surprise me as I have seen Rossi screws vary in lengths from gun to gun before. Obviously, the screw was a tad bit too long so the factory just didn't tighten it down all the way. I simply shaved a bit off the end of the screw with a "Dremel" tool and was then able to torque it down properly without any binding on the bolt.

Steve does not talk about relieving the wood between the barrel and the magazine tube. I'm actually quite surprised about this since it has proven to be such an issue with a lot of these rifles.

The biggest or most noticeable help in getting the action "easier" to lever, is to replace the ejector spring. That modification is worth it.

In total, here are the modifications that I made to the rifle since I got it.

* Refinished the wood. - Well worth it since the factory "stain" comes off with water. (not good for hunting)

* Removed the wood on the fore stock between the barrel and the magazine. Keeps from getting "vertical stringing" when the barrel heats up from multiple rounds being fired. Not good when sighting it in.

* Modified the butt stock to take a recoil pad, and installed a Kick-EEZ pad. "Needed" for multiple shots of hot 44 magnums (Like when sighting it in)

* Removed the front sight (not needed)

* Installed the NOE scope rail and a Leopold scout scope. Very happy with this set up so far.

* Replaced the magazine spring with Steve's stainless steel spring. Probably not needed.

* Replaced the plastic magazine shell holder. May or may not be needed, but the plastic one looks and feels like cheap junk and Steve's stainless steel one is really nice.

* Replaced the ejector spring. Made a huge difference in the feel of the action. Well worth it in my opinion.

* Deburred, cleaned and relubbed all the parts. Very important.

* Polished up all of the parts that Steve recommends except or the lifter bottom detent. Feels like it helped. Not too sure if it was needed or if I could have just deburred the parts and replaced the ejector spring.

* Slightly shortened the "blank" screw on the left hand side of the frame. This was needed in order to tighten it down all the way without it binding against the bolt.
Last edited by dvw86 on 27 Mar 2016 11:36, edited 2 times in total.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Follow up From Action Job

Post by Ranch Dog »

Excellent details and thanks for detail the complete safety removal to include the small parts. You ought to try to get that spring and BB back in!!!! I'm with you on the forearm. No job is complete nor rifle at its accuracy potential without investigating the fit.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Nice write up thanks for sharing.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Ranch Dog wrote:You ought to try to get that spring and BB back in!!!! I
Yep, I put them back in that night. It was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. The safety is kind of nice for unloading the rifle if you don't shoot all the rounds.

Also, I updated my post. I had neglected to mention the "blank" screw on the left hand side of the frame.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

Yesterday I finished the action job on the Ranch Hand. It had about as many burrs as the 16" 44 did, but there were in different places. So again, well worth taking it apart and just cleaning things up with a needle file.

Also I updated the original post to include something else that I learned. You can not re-install the hammer with the safety on. The firing pin sticking out the back side of the bolt gets in the way of the hammer and the hammer will not fit through the frame.

Now I only have two more Rossi 92s to complete (half way done).
dalek

Post by dalek »

I emailed Steve about this but am still confused: what is exactly done to the bolt? And where? I guess I need a picture with bit fat arrow showing thingies.

About the ejector spring, did you cut the one Steve gave in his kit? If so, how much?
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

dalek wrote:I emailed Steve about this but am still confused: what is exactly done to the bolt? And where? I guess I need a picture with bit fat arrow showing thingies.
When I needed a little hand-holding and e-mailed Steve, he wrote that I should get it disassembled to the point I needed help and then call him. He very politely walked me through the necessary steps and gave some additional tips as well. A real class act.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yep Steve is a great fellow that takes time helping on the phone. It's going to be sad when he's gone. It's why we need to keep this forum alive as a resource to keep Rossi 92 rifles being produced and made. If people know they have a place to help themselves with these guns its easier to buy them and dive in. Thanks for sharing on your write up as well. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

akuser47 wrote:Yep Steve is a great fellow that takes time helping on the phone. It's going to be sad when he's gone. It's why we need to keep this forum alive as a resource to keep Rossi 92 rifles being produced and made. If people know they have a place to help themselves with these guns its easier to buy them and dive in.
THIS
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Santa01

Post by Santa01 »

Thanks for the info. I am pondering buying one in .45 20 inch octagon. This is VERY helpful. Again , Thanks