R92 Taller Front Sight Replacement

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Iplayfarmer

R92 Taller Front Sight Replacement

Post by Iplayfarmer »

My R92 in 357 magnum that I bought last year shoots about 4" high even with the elevation adjusted all the way down. I finally got around to changing it out recently. I've decided to post my experience here so others can learn along with me.

I'll start with a few details about the old sight. I have attached a picture of my most recent target. The group at the top of the page is the first set of 5 shots. The "X" at the bottom of the page was my point of aim for the second group, and the 5 shots all in the red are my second group. The rifle is plenty precise. It's just not sighted in correctly, and I can't adjust down any more with the old sight.
R92 Old Sight Target.jpg
The second picture is of my old sight removed from the gun and measured with calipers. The old sight from the top of the bead to the bottom of the base measures 0.32"
Old Post Height.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iplayfarmer

Re: R92 Taller Front Sight Replacement

Post by Iplayfarmer »

I ordered a Marbles front sight that is 0.13" taller for a total height of 0.45". I measured the new sight to confirm my understanding that a 0.45" tall sight post is measured from the bottom of the base to the top of the bead. (I wondered if maybe it was a measurement from the top of the barrel to the top of the sight, but it is not.)

Height 0.45"...
Marbles Front Post Height.jpg
Width 0.34"...
Marbles Front Post width.jpg
Length 0.65"...
Marbles Front Post Length.jpg
As you can see in this final picture the new sight is considerably longer than the old sight...
New Post vs. Old Post.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

A few more notes about this project....

I bought the sight from www.BuffaloArms.com out of Ponderay, Idaho. They were very good to work with.

The new sight fit very nicely into the dovetail without any modification. I had heard stories of having to file down the base of the sight or build it up with JB weld, but in my situation the two seemed perfectly matched. The sight took some good pressure to get it in place, and it seems very firm. I used the calipers to set the front sight as close to the center of the barrel as I could get it. I'll adjust from there once I see where it is shooting.

I have not shot this rifle yet since I installed the sight. Life has been pretty busy. I do intend to sight it in this weekend, however. I'll post back with my findings about how it shoots.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

I made it to the range. I couldn't ask for a more beautiful day.

I did well enough with my benchtop windage adjustment that I'm going to leave it for now. I'll probably adjust my group to the right a little sometime in the future, but for now it's good.

As for height adjustment I am very pleased with the new front sight. By the time I got the sights adjusted I was more or less in the middle of the little ramp type adjuster on the stock rear sights. That gives me room to go up or down as need.

It took me two tries to get the adjustment right, but on the third group I was in the center of the target. Here is a picture of a fourth group that I shot on a new target...
New Sight Target.JPG
There are four shots on that target. The gun is at least as accurate as I am.
kungfustyle

Post by kungfustyle »

Nice fix. Gotta love it when things come together like that. Good Job.
Wakefieldad

Post by Wakefieldad »

Thanks for letting us know that the Marbles 0.45" sight works.