Model 92 needs fixin

Share your experience in caring for your favorite Rossi with other members or ask the question that you cannot find the answer to!
Wyowind

Re: Model 92 needs fixin

Post by Wyowind »

Don,

Never even noticed brass on the ejector till you pointed at it. That ejector got a lot of attention yesterday after you showed me the cutaway diagrams. It clicked on how the case rim needed to slide over the face of it.

Probably more than anything, that is where the hang-up was at. I may pull it out again today and make sure it's gonna behave like a model citizen. After slicking it up again, she feels like a whole different rifle.

It's sunny outside, albeit a little chill. It wouldn't be Wyoming without the wind, so it's standard "high plains" weather outside. Since I don't have to put as much "file" time on the rifle, there should be some trigger time. +guns

I'll let you know how it goes. It already shoots good. Last time to the range, @ 50 yds, leaning on a table, there were lots of holes touching each other.
donhuff
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by donhuff »

Ranch Dog wrote:
donhuff wrote:But seriously, next time you have it apart. Take the ejector and hold a cartridge rim up against it, in the angled position like it was still under the guides. Notice how because the rim is round and at that angle, that the only place the rim contacts the ejector "wings" (that's what WE call them) is on the inside of the wings, on that sharp edge. And for the rim to move up the wings edge, tends to make that edge bite or cut into the rim. This can sometime stop the rim from sliding up, and instead, holds it in place till the cartridge moves forward enough to push the carrier down and then we have a JAM. In your picture of your ejector there looks to be a tiny bit of brass shavings or a smear right in that spot.
R92_ejector_csi.jpg
Dang Don, that is some serious CSI kind of work!

Glad it is up and running Wyo and another pair of cartridge guides saved for another day!

:lol: :lol: :lol: CSI work!\

Actually, I was going to tell him to do this work, before I even saw the picture. But when I did see the pic, and it had the brass on it, well that was icing on the cake, and I KNEW I was on to something.

I discovered this about the ejector when I was trying to get the 360s to feed in my 357. Since they are so long, I needed the rear of the rim to get up really quick. Trimming the guides helped with the timing but I saw that they were snagging on those sharp edges, so I took a file and buffer and really worked the ejector over. That made a huge difference in the way 357s would feed, and 38s were popping up to quick and jumping out. So then I had to shim the guides in a little.
Don Huff

to bad those that know it all, cant do it all!
16" SS 92 357
20" BL 92 357
20" SS 92 44
20" BL 92 44
20" Bl 92 45C
20" Bl 92 454
SS Rio Grande 30-30
Bl Rio Grande 45-70
Wyowind

Post by Wyowind »

TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING !

Went to the range yesterday for a function check on all my sanding and filing. The rifle cycled 100%, 8 for 8 rounds. It shot well, but still a little rough on getting the rounds into the chamber.

Back to the house and decided to slick it up some more. I even took the cartridge guides out. That left one is a joy to put back together. I filed and smoothed the ejector more. Gas guzzler said to smooth the shaft on it also. I checked that. Btoran said to look at the upper screw on the left side, so I checked that too.

Someone said to make sure the ejector is sliding in and out before you assemble the rifle. Check +1

Once back together, she really feels smooth now. It's a whole different rifle. But, here's the fly in the ointment, it's getting jammed on the guides again. It now only cycles maybe 50%.

It seems like the ejector doesn't slide in and out, anywhere along the travel of the bolt until just at the end, during lockup. When I open the bolt and put my finger down on the ejector, it feels like it won't give/slide at all. I'm pretty sure it use to slide in and out a lot easier before.

Broke it down and back together a least 2 more times to make sure the ejector spring is back together properly. I use the "empty cartridge" method to get the ejector bolt assembly back together.

Any thoughts?

Does the ejector usually slide, when trying to move a cartridge from the elevator, through the cartridge guides?

Is a lighter spring on the ejector a good idea? Thanks !
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Wyowind wrote:Is a lighter spring on the ejector a good idea?
Take a deep breath and reread the entire topic. +corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Wyowind wrote:
Is a lighter spring on the ejector a good idea?
Absolutely.

PM me your name and address and I'll send you one.
Wyowind

Post by Wyowind »

KLR,

That's a generous offer. I should already have one coming.

I see your from the great State of Buckeye football. I graduated high school in Lima, a few decades ago. I went to Hocking Tech, Nelsonville several years ago also. Lots of good memories. @ deer hunting and extra curricular activities in Athens, @ Ohio University.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Wyowind wrote:KLR,

That's a generous offer. I should already have one coming.

I see your from the great State of Buckeye football. I graduated high school in Lima, a few decades ago. I went to Hocking Tech, Nelsonville several years ago also. Lots of good memories. @ deer hunting and extra curricular activities in Athens, @ Ohio University.
Great part of Ohio over there, but I'm a couple of hours west of Athens. As more people fill the state, I think I'd rather be in Wyoming, though.
Wyowind

Post by Wyowind »

Finally ! ! !

This rifle now functions the way it should have from the factory. The lighter ejector spring made all the difference.

Thanks to everyone.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

btoran wrote:.....If you're OK taking it apart, I recommend a DVD and ejector spring kit from steve's gunz. .....
Page 1 post 3. +guns
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Wyowind

Post by Wyowind »

Gas,

Do I detect a little sarcasm? Certainly not, on a family friendly, helpful site such as this.

I have participated in several forums along the way. More than once, I've been tempted to "tell some idiot how it ought to be." Then I realize they have their own view and my comment isn't going to be productive in the overall conversation.

Much like your comment above.

Wishing you the best.